Re: Shot selection

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
To: celtics@igtc.COM <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 1998 1:55 PM
Subject: Shot selection

>If you put the pressure of carrying the team in scoring on Mercer, his
shooting
>percentage would drop a lot. It's easier to shoot a better fg% when you
aren't
>the primary option.

I can't by this argument Alex.  We can all name many forwards who are the
respective primary options on their teams, who are the primary options and
shoot much more within their means.

>Hopefully the development of Mercer and the addition
>of Anderson will help him out, but what is really needed is another inside
>scorer so that Walker doesn't have to shoulder so much of the burden of
inside
>scoring.

I agree but let's also remember that this is the area where should be
scoring from.  He's no Jerry West from the outside, but he can be amazing
with his quickness on the inside.  Mercer and Anderson will only be of
assistance if he uses them properly when he meets the double-team.  If he
could be more consistent on finding the open man, and I hate to say this,
ala Chuck Barkley, the offense would score an additional 10-12 ppg.

>As for Walker becoming a Karl Malone or Barkley type player, I don't see it
>happening. It doesn't really fit his skills.
>
>Alex

No but he could take a little from both of their games to make himself and
his team better.  They have never won it all despite having superb skills.
It would be a shame if Antoine fell into the same category.

Cecil