Re: Shot selection

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Wang <awang@MIT.EDU>
To: Cecil Wright <cecil@hfx.andara.com>; celtics@igtc.com <celtics@igtc.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 1998 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: Shot selection

>Walker is currently shooting 42% on two-pointers and 28% on three-pointers.
>If Walker could hit just one shot per game that he currently misses, he
will
>be shooting 45% which would be pretty reasonable. So he's probably costing
us
>about two points a game from bad shot selection. The lack of good shot
selection
>is really a team issue, with the team shooting under 43% from the field.

I would agree and say it is a team issue.  But when one player is forcing a
large majority of the shots, I can't fault the others.  This may not be the
proper time to bring this up but, here goes.

During the last six Celtic losses, Toine has shot 37/126 from the field.
That is .294%.  Included in those games have been one 3/15, one 5/22, one
8/23 and one 8/29 effort.  I realize that he has it tough, but I think
you'll agree that those are not impressive numbers.

>> >As for Walker becoming a Karl Malone or Barkley type player, I don't see
it
>> >happening. It doesn't really fit his skills.
>>
>> No but he could take a little from both of their games to make himself
and
>> his team better.  They have never won it all despite having superb
skills.
>> It would be a shame if Antoine fell into the same category.
>
>I'm always amazed at how not winning a championship can be such a stigma.
>If Antoine can even be mentioned in the same context as these
"non-championship"
>players, he deserves his $100M+ contract.
>
>Alex

I'm not stigmatizing anyone here.  I'm just being honest.  Toine himself
said that his goal is to win a championship here in Boston.  He has superb
skills, just like they do.  Let's hope he can win a title here.  Remember
how emotional it was for Paul Molitor and even Wade Boggs when their teams
won the World Series after toiling so long in the league.  That's what I
like most about Toine.  I believe he really wants to win and he will adjust
his game to do it.  That means finding a way to grab more rebounds when his
shot isn't falling, or by passing out of the double-team to the open man for
a jumper or whatever else it takes.  That's when he will truly be given the
recognition he'll deserve regardless of how many commercials he has.  :-)

Cecil