Pitino/Antoine

I still have serious doubts about Pitino as an NBA coach. Before you get
ready to send out your flames, hear me out. I'm not questioning his uptempo
pressing style, I think it's obviously improved the Celts. The problem I
see, is his continual running criticism of the players throughout the game,
like " Great shot Walter! We really needed that! when McCarty threw up an
air ball. Could you imagine trying to function with your boss sitting over
your shoulder and making sarcastic comments on every movement you made? I
think that approach may work when you are a young college player being
molded by your coach but I can't see established players willing to put up
with it. How many free agents will want to come to the Celts? Stoudamire
commented he didn't want to go to NJ because Calapari is always yelling.
Think about it.

I can't remember which commentator said about Toine that "He's so good but
often out of control so that he keeps both teams in the game". In last
nights game against Portland, several times he came down on breaks and was
so determined to score, he was unaware of other Celts on the floor who could
of made easier shots. The excuse of, well he only would of been a senior in
college, is garbage. A player who has floor vision and is unselfish, shows
it during his development. I saw Bird, Magic, Michael play college ball and
the skills and awareness they show now were there in college.  Frankly, I
don't think Toines game is going to change all that much. I think his
showboating style will cause him to play out of control. How many turnovers
a game does he have? I would much rather have the Ron Mercers of the game on
my side. Serious, hard working without an attitude.

Please don't interpret my comments as not coming from a fan, I've followed
the Celts for over 35 years and watch every game but as good a coach as
Pitino is, in this day and age of NBA players, I'm not sure he's the kind of
coach that will lead us to another championship.

Gary