Re: The Trade

-----Original Message-----
From: Cooney, John x84976g2 <x84976@exmail.usma.army.mil>
To: 'celtics@igtc.com' <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Thursday, February 19, 1998 10:10 AM
Subject: The Trade

>Last night on WFAN the Knicks post game show host and Clyde Frazier were
>talking about how the trade was a great deal for the C's.  They both
>think that KA will excell in Pitino's system.  They also said that they
>think Chauncey is good, but that he is just not a point guard.  I don't
>know, I really liked Chauncey's game and his attitude, but I will wait
>and see how it turns out...John

Don't forget that playing for the Knicks is a dream of Kenny's and they were
supposedly in hot pursuit during the pre-trade actions.  Anderson, being a
native New Yawker, probably has somewhat of a following within the vicinity
of MSG.  So I'm not sure if all hope of him becoming a Knick is a dead issue
yet.

What bothers me now about the comments I've seen is the lack of regard, for
the most part, about the defensive responsibilities of the point guard.
That's why, IMO Billups will be a great player, as he can play at both ends
of the court.

I keep hearing that Anderson will open this up offensively and he'll create
shots for so and so and do such and such.  He will also have real problems
stopping his man from scoring.  Billups has done a better job than any of us
ever thought he could guarding the likes of Iverson, Stoudamire, Strickland
and Van Exel.  He played well defensively against the Bulls if I recall
correctly.

My hope is that regardless of who stays here, or who goes, the boys in green
will fare alright.  But please remember that defense is as important as
offense.  Isn't that why Pitino instilled his press first?

Comments?

Cecil

P.S.  Anderson is a Celtic at the moment, so welcome aboard to  Kenny and
the injured guys.