Re: Walker article

> From danp@town.ipswich.ma.us Tue Feb 10 16:44:39 1998

> > If Walker, Mercer, and Billups each develop as we hope, how is Boston going
> > to possibly be able to pay them and also get a decent center?
>
> Walker has been saying all the right things lately about the upcoming
> signing circus the Celtics will have to go through.
>
> I don't know Ron or Chauncy personally, but they both strike me as good
> guys who aren't going to demand the farm to feed their egos.  I think as
> long as they're taken care of they aren't going to seriously rock the
> boat. Then again, I heard that Ron has David Falk for an agent.  Better
> lace up the combat boots.

Come on! this is the pros, the C's will have to shell out the market rate to
sign these players. The Celtics are making good money this year with the Fleet
center nearly selling out every game, they owe it to the fans to put a good
product on the floor.

> Teams like Minnesota have far more to worry about.  Before they can even
> catch their breath after signing Garnett, they have to start worrying
> about Gugliotta and Marbury.  In a recent Sports Illustrated article,
> Marbury expressed no great love for Minnesota (especally the harsh
> winters) and hinted he'd love to be in New York.  Poor Kevin McHale.
> There should be a betting pool for when his hair will turn grey.

Minnesota may be a small market club but there owner is loaded. He was in the
Forbes list of billionaires, so he can spare some change for both Googs &
Mrbury. Now if he wants to pull off a Wayne Huyzenga then that would be
different, but I would be surprised because the Timber wolves so far have shown
no urgency in trying to ship Googs.
                                    - Mishra