Re: Pressing vs Half-Court

---------------------- Forwarded by Ritesh-Dayaram Ramani/Student/Bentley
on 02/03/98 10:59 PM ---------------------------
So what we suggest we do? If I remember correctly (Celtic historians help
me here), once upon a time, Kevin McHale was the 6th man. Cedric Maxwell
was the small forward and Larry Bird the other forward. When these two were
in, they were more running active defense. When McHale came for Maxwell, it
was him at power forward and Larry Bird the small forward. This was more
half court offense. Maybe Walter McCarty can be the energizer bunny that he
is and come in as a 6th man, creating havoc for either widening a lead or
play catch up early in the game. This leads to the question, how do we
start? Do we want a bulky power forward so Walker can move to the small
forward position and play half court offense in the begining? (John Thomas)
or McCarty in the game to start so we can create a lead early in the game??

Your comments please.

Ritesh Ramani

> "William T. Lee" wrote:
> I must admit that I am not in the "I Love Walter" camp.  I admire his
> hustle and speed but he (and Travis) frustrate the hell out of me.  So
many
> times it seems that the Celts fall behind because of poor shot selection
> and even poorer outside shooting percentage.  Then (often at the start of
> the 2nd half) they will make a big run to get back into a game.  This is
> usually done by (finally) penetrating and moving the ball into the paint.
> They get momentum.  Invariably, it's Walter or Travis (mostly Walter) who
> breaks the momentum by 3-point attempt or near 3-point attempt.  Then
> momentum dies.
I couldn't agree more with you, Bill.  McCarty's 3-point shooting is almost
always ill-advised, coming at a bad time, and he can't even hit it very
often.  It's frustrating to watch.
Jon Mc