Pitino's Show

Local Ch. 7 sports guy Fran Charles interviewed Billups and Mercer.

CB mentioned that he had a rough start and that he's come a long way, but
that he's still only 50% of where he wants to be. Ron and CB are friends
and rely on each other b/c they are both rookies. CB says that he and Ron
talk every day about the rigors of playing at the NBA level and how stiff
their bodies have become. Mercer said that the difference is the number of
games played each week and the travelling. They both said that although
they are tired, they are not worried b/c they know they can work through
it. They mentioned that the Celtics press is greatly exaggerated in terms
of how much they use it. They estimate that it's used 20% of the
time..."it's not like we're pressing 48 minutes, but since that's what
we're known for, that's what teams always say about us."

CB credits Pitino with the Celtics relative success. He said, "Coach isn't
that patient. He wants to win this year. We're thinking about the playoffs
now."

Mercer was asked about the Pitino system and about his advantage in knowing
the system b/c he played for Pitino before. He said that the system is
complicated and that when he was at Kentucky, there were guys who knew the
system so that when a freshman came in and didn't know it, the others could
hide that fact. He said that because there are so few people who know the
system in Boston, it's not been any easier for him to play in this system
(as some would think) b/c the other players don't know it enough for
everyone to help out. That's a long way of saying that it would be easier
to make the transition from Pitino-college to Pitino-NBA if everyone was on
the same page.

The Pitino show notable highlights:

Jail: Pitino did a nifty little drill w/ his star drill sargeant Bruce
Bowen. He told Bowen to stand under the basket and without moving forward,
to block Pitino's shot. Do you understand, Bruce? he asked several times.
Yes, said Bruce. P then kept popping the ball up toward the basket and
Bowen couldn't block it. He would stop and ask Bowen if he understood, pop
the ball up and say block it over and over. It was so funny. Pitino then
explained. He called the area directly under the basket "jail." He
explained that if you push your defender under the basket and create some
space (jump stop works), the defender can not block the shot. EVER. He
mentioned that he tried this with Ewing and Ewing could never block the
shot. JAIL. What a coach, what a teacher.

Pitino also did a drill w/ Bowen and Ty Edney. I think I know why T.E.
isn't playing. He couldn't follow the instructions for the drill. At one
point, P yelled, "cut" (there's no editing of this show) because Tyus
couldn't run the drill correctly. RP did compliment Tyus on his ability to
drive the lane (the best on our team, he said).

Finally, Pitino interviewed Walker who seemed a bit nervous. He told the
story of how he told AW that he made the all-star team. He said he walked
into the locker room and asked AW how he was doing. "Okay."  "Give me a
hug," said Pitino. When Walker looked at him funny RP said, "I've never
hugged an all-star before." Walker went crazy with joy. Walker talked about
making the team and how important it was to the team and to him. He said
that it's always been a goal and that he can't wait to play with Michael
b/c this could be his last year.

Did anyone see that ex-Pitino player (Providence) "Billy the Kid"
Donovan-coached Florida team beat Kentucky?

Good show! Long post.

Theresa