Bulpett on Futility of new league

Here's bulpett from today's Boston Herald

In a different league: Going against NBA would be difficult
by Steve Bulpett

Wednesday, December 30, 1998

The talk of a new basketball league has been raised often in the last
several months, with little attention being paid. And as the deadline
looms for the cancellation of the NBA season, talk is again being
generated that the union will take its business elsewhere.

While this remains a possibility, even union director Billy Hunter
agrees there is little chance a new circuit would be able to approach
the scope of the NBA.

``I agree wholeheartedly that it would probably take some time for a
new league to develop to where the NBA is,'' he said. ``But what I
would say is that there has to be some down side for the NBA, as well.

``I don't think the marquee players would have problems under any
circumstances. If Michael Jordan were around and were inclined to
play, I doubt that there would be any reservations about paying him
whatever he wants.''

Beyond the logistics issues with getting a new league off the ground,
there is the fundamental question of whether the union should be
angling toward a solution that will benefit well less than half its
membership to start - and at a reduced rate for most of those who will
get jobs at all.

The NBA, while saying it will proceed next year with or without the
union's blessing, is banking on the inability of a new league to
compete with an organization already in place.

Addressing the union's talk of a new entity, commissioner David Stern
said: ``I am aware that there are certain agents who are busy trying
to start another league. All I can say to our players is that maybe
that will get started and it can take care of 100 or so players. But
that would be consistent with the philosophy that has been espoused in
these negotiations, which is to protect the high end (players).

``Our NBA will continue and it will thrive, but it will be a much
different NBA.''

In many respects, the situation could be likened to the now-defunct
ABL's battle with the WNBA, in which the former had the better players
to start and the latter was simply better funded, sponsored and
organized.

While Hunter said there are ``millionaires and billionaires'' willing
to get involved in a new league, the chances of making inroads against
the NBA are slim. Consider first that NBA clubs either own their
buildings or have leases and, with hockey dates figured in, there
would be little room for a new league to get court time - if the new
clubs were allowed in the door at all.

For instance, a union league team wishing to play in Boston would be
pushed aside to Boston College or the Worcester Centrum because of
potential lease and schedule conflicts in the FleetCenter.

Also, would enough sponsors, with NBA contracts already, move to
support a new and competing league?

``I haven't received any offers,'' Hunter said of specific ownership
in a new league. ``One of the limitations you encounter among folks
who may be interested is that they're not inclined to be used. They
don't want to be used as leverage. They let you know, directly or
indirectly, that they're interested, but the position is that they're
waiting for the (NBA) season to be canceled.''

All of which begs the question being asked by the NBA: Are the middle
and lower salaried players willing to forfeit a season to turn down
what the owners are offering, particularly when it's clear that most
would be left behind if the union starts a new league?