                  In a different league: Going against NBA would be
                  difficult
                  by Steve Bulpett

                  Wednesday, December 30, 1998

                  The talk of a new basketball league has been raised often
                  in the last several months, with little attention being
                  paid. And as the deadline looms for the cancellation of
                  the NBA season, talk is again being generated that the
                  union will take its business elsewhere.
                  While this remains a possibility, even union director
                  Billy Hunter agrees there is little chance a new circuit
                  would be able to approach the scope of the NBA.

                  ``I agree wholeheartedly that it would probably take some
                  time for a new league to develop to where the NBA is,'' he
                  said. ``But what I would say is that there has to be some
                  down side for the NBA, as well.

                  ``I don't think the marquee players would have problems
                  under any circumstances. If Michael Jordan were around and
                  were inclined to play, I doubt that there would be any
                  reservations about paying him whatever he wants.''

                  Beyond the logistics issues with getting a new league off
                  the ground, there is the fundamental question of whether
                  the union should be angling toward a solution that will
                  benefit well less than half its membership to start - and
                  at a reduced rate for most of those who will get jobs at
                  all.

                  The NBA, while saying it will proceed next year with or
                  without the union's blessing, is banking on the inability
                  of a new league to compete with an organization already in
                  place.

                  Addressing the union's talk of a new entity, commissioner
                  David Stern said: ``I am aware that there are certain
                  agents who are busy trying to start another league. All I
                  can say to our players is that maybe that will get started
                  and it can take care of 100 or so players. But that would
                  be consistent with the philosophy that has been espoused
                  in these negotiations, which is to protect the high end
                  (players).

                  ``Our NBA will continue and it will thrive, but it will be
                  a much different NBA.''

                  In many respects, the situation could be likened to the
                  now-defunct ABL's battle with the WNBA, in which the
                  former had the better players to start and the latter was
                  simply better funded, sponsored and organized.

                  While Hunter said there are ``millionaires and
                  billionaires'' willing to get involved in a new league,
                  the chances of making inroads against the NBA are slim.
                  Consider first that NBA clubs either own their buildings
                  or have leases and, with hockey dates figured in, there
                  would be little room for a new league to get court time -
                  if the new clubs were allowed in the door at all.

                  For instance, a union league team wishing to play in
                  Boston would be pushed aside to Boston College or the
                  Worcester Centrum because of potential lease and schedule
                  conflicts in the FleetCenter.

                  Also, would enough sponsors, with NBA contracts already,
                  move to support a new and competing league?

                  ``I haven't received any offers,'' Hunter said of specific
                  ownership in a new league. ``One of the limitations you
                  encounter among folks who may be interested is that
                  they're not inclined to be used. They don't want to be
                  used as leverage. They let you know, directly or
                  indirectly, that they're interested, but the position is
                  that they're waiting for the (NBA) season to be
                  canceled.''

                  All of which begs the question being asked by the NBA: Are
                  the middle and lower salaried players willing to forfeit a
                  season to turn down what the owners are offering,
                  particularly when it's clear that most would be left
                  behind if the union starts a new league?