Re: Am I alone in my total loss of interest in this season?

When the lockout is over, I expect to be just as interested in the
Celtics as before, possibly more so if the new rules allow them to
compete better.  Sure, this season isn't going to mean a great deal, but
we weren't expecting them to win the championship this year anyway.
Imagine being a Utah fan and knowing that the Jazz would have had their
best chance of winning, now that Jordan seems to be gone.

Does the lockout change how I feel about the players, owners and my
team, the Boston Celtics?  No.  It's been a long time since I was an
innocent child who admired athletes for their competitiveness, work
ethic and sportsmanship.  For their part, the owners have always been
about making money, or ego, that's nothing new.  The illusion is gone
and I think we're past the point where this sort of thing can hurt
sport's image.

Long term, I would say that this lockout has the potential to improve
the prospects for sports fans.  This could be the beginning of the end
for players who think they deserve the world as soon as they turn pro.
It's not going to happen with one NBA labor dispute either.  American
sports is going to reach a breaking point where it simply can't continue
the explosive growth it has had for the last couple of decades.  There
are only so many new media and markets to exploit.  In my opinion, the
NBA is being forward thinking in putting the brakes on now.  Get an
agreement that links salaries to revenues, and then the players can
enjoy this growth for as long as it continues.  Without that, there's
going to be a lot worse trouble down the road (bankrupt teams and
possibly even leagues collapsing).

Jim

>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:51:46 -0500
>From: "Gary Martin" <gcm@rettew.com>
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: Am I alone in my total loss of interest in this season?
>
>As a die hard, bleed green, Celtic worshiper, this
lock-out/strike/impasse really has dampened my enthusiasm for this game