Re: Charity begins at home

>From: j.hironaka@unesco.org
>Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 21:31:28 +0100
>To: Jim Meninno <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>, celtics <celtics@igtc.com>
>Subject: Re: Charity begins at home
>
>    Well I kind of  figured before I posted that Jim might enter the
>fray with decent points. Actually, I think he's right on his specific
>points but who cares? I also don't object to a set of clear working
>rules (the CBA) that could obstruct the  more "efficient" laws of
>supply and demand, on the assumption that preserving 30+ local NBA
>franchises serves some sort of public good. In the name of >efficiency,
I suppose you would see a lot more greedy mergers and >consolidation
(e.g. finals featuring the "Celtic Wizbockers" vs.. >"LA Supersonic
Flaming Nuggets").

Might not be such a bad idea, since over-expansion has caused a lot of
it's own problems.  I could see Red merging us with Washington (Wiz),
but I don't think I could live with New York (bockers).  Why not couple
it with creative sponsorship and have the Flaming McNuggets.

>But IMO what Jim writes in no way adequately defends the position of
>Paul "Thanks Dad" Gaston and his felllow owners in 1) not letting the
>public see their undoctored accounting books;

Aren't the Celtics books public?  Either way, as long as the player's
union has access, which Stern claims they do, why does the public need
to see?  With all their accountants and lawyers, wouldn't you think the
union could hold the league to it's side of any bargain?  This smacks of
nothing but PR to me.  If the union had a case, they'd be in court.

>and 2) refusing third-party arbitration at this stage of the crisis.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  Let's get John Feerick in to settle this, and
they'll be playing by 2005.

Jim