Bill Russell Comments On The Lockout

                                              [Sun-Sentinel]     [sports]

                                                        [Michael Mayo]
                                        To Russell, lockout begs a compromise
                                        December 03, 1998
                                        Bill Russell is not one of those
                                        grumpy old players who curses fate for
                                        being born 30 years too soon. He says he
                                        wouldn't trade a minute of his legendary
                                        NBA career, the one that included 11
                                        championships in 13 years with the Boston
                                        Celtics and concluded with him making "a
                                        few hundred thousand" in 1969, 100 times
                                        less than the $30 million Michael Jordan
                                        made last year leading the Chicago Bulls to
                                        their sixth measly title.
                                            As someone who helped found the NBA
                                        players union in 1964, Russell doesn't mind
                                        the way times and salaries have changed. He
                                        doesn't begrudge rookies collecting absurd
                                        sums before their first shot, although he
                                        made $25,000 as the No. 3 draft pick in
                                        1956.
                                        "Back then, you could buy a Cadillac
                                        for $2,500," Russell said on Wednesday.
                                        "The fact they've got $2-3 billion to
                                        divide up now, makes me feel good about
                                        what I did. We helped grow this sport."
                                             He is slightly bothered by the lack of
                                        historical perspective around today's game.
                                        Russell once played golf with a current NBA
                                        player who said, "I heard you won a lot of
                                        championships, but I didn't think what they
                                        said was right. How many did you really
                                        win?" He explained about winning 11, eight
                                        straight from 1959-66, and being a
                                        five-time MVP.
                                             What Russell does mind, as a diehard
                                        basketball fan, is the NBA's disappearance.
                                        "I miss the games," he said.
                                             No heroes here
                                              Russell might be in the minority.
                                        It's been a month (or two missed paychecks,
                                        for those keeping score) since the NBA
                                        lockout started claiming real games. Let's
                                        face it, not many people are losing sleep.
                                        Neither side engenders sympathy (one
                                        magazine called it "a dispute between the
                                        filthy rich and the stinking rich"). Hoops
                                        fans shrug, flip the remote and settle for
                                        Utah-Fresno State.
                                             So when negotiations resume in New
                                        York today, both sides better bring a sense
                                        of urgency. The 24-second clock is off. The
                                        real clock is winding down.
                                             "I just hope they get it done fairly
                                        soon," said Russell, who'll be in Weston on
                                        Saturday at Rich Altman's Sports
                                        Collectibles, part of an effort to make his
                                        name known again among the young. "They're
                                        getting close to that point of diminishing
                                        returns. For both sides, I hate to see that
                                        money go to waste, because you can never
                                        make it up. The only way the league can
                                        come back with a vengeance is with
                                        cooperation and trust."
                                             Russell tells the story about the
                                        union's formation. When teammate Bob Cousy
                                        went to owners meetings to ask for union
                                        recognition, "they wouldn't even talk to
                                        him." So the players pulled a wildcat
                                        strike at the 1964 All-Star Game.
                                             Stars found a way
                                              "Our contracts were only for
                                        regular-season games," Russell said. "We
                                        said we wouldn't play the All-Star Game
                                        unless they recognized the union. We
                                        delayed the game for 45 minutes. The ABC
                                        people were going crazy. The owners said
                                        they wouldn't recognize the union that
                                        night, but if we played the game they would
                                        at the end of the season. It took trust on
                                        our part, but at the end of the season they
                                        did."
                                             Russell, who lives in Seattle, worries
                                        about the current stalemate.
                                             "It looks like the level of trust
                                        isn't there, each side is digging in," said
                                        Russell, 64, who's seen the NBA from all
                                        angles: Hall of Fame center, broadcaster,
                                        coach, general manager. "When both sides
                                        are locked into a position, compromise is
                                        difficult because it's seen as surrender.
                                        What they have to do is change the language
                                        so compromise is not a bad word. It's the
                                        art of getting something done without
                                        anybody losing face."
                                             Russell hopes cool heads and reason
                                        can prevail, just like 35 years ago. If
                                        owners want to pay 50 percent and the
                                        players want to get 60 percent, it doesn't
                                        take a rocket scientist to figure out the
                                        compromise is 55 percent, along with some
                                        creative thinking about caps for rookies
                                        and free agents.
                                             "Basically it's not about greed,
                                        because the fixed amount of money is
                                        there," Russell said. "It's about how to
                                        divide it up."
                                             With time running out, owners and
                                        players better get their processes into
                                        gear.

                                        Copyright 1998, Sun-Sentinel Co. and South Florida
                                                     Interactive, Inc.