Re: Drug testing

In message <19980821160553.1005.qmail@hotmail.com>, "Jim Meninno" said:
> What, exactly is the story here.  Can any employer demand drug testing,
> or does it require the consent of the employees.  I'm sure I've heard
> recently that DNA samples (blood) could not be taken from prisoners in
> Massachusetts without their consent.  And, what about Mo Vaughn.  He
> refused drug testing, didn't he?

Not only can any employer demand testing as a condition of employment, but
the Federal Government used to (and still may, for all I know) require drug
testing for employees of government contractors.  If you choose not to take
the test, the employer is free not to employ you.

The exception would be workers under a Collective Bargaining Agreement, which
spells out what the employer, and workers, can and cannot do.

> I don't use illegal drugs, but I'd be pretty upset if my employer
> started testing.  Do the phrases "just cause" and "illegal search and
> seizure" mean anything.  If the players don't agree to a testing
> program, there's no way it's legal.  Can a policeman stop you on the
> street and say, "you might be on drugs, can I have a blood sample
> please"?

That is the key difference.  The Constitution only enjoins Government, not
private organizations.  The policeman, as an agent of the government, cannot
stop and demand a sample, except as provided by law.  Your employer could.
If you were not working under a CBA, your recourse would be to take him to
court for terminating you improperly.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com