Re: Drug testing

What, exactly is the story here.  Can any employer demand drug testing,
or does it require the consent of the employees.  I'm sure I've heard
recently that DNA samples (blood) could not be taken from prisoners in
Massachusetts without their consent.  And, what about Mo Vaughn.  He
refused drug testing, didn't he?

I don't use illegal drugs, but I'd be pretty upset if my employer
started testing.  Do the phrases "just cause" and "illegal search and
seizure" mean anything.  If the players don't agree to a testing
program, there's no way it's legal.  Can a policeman stop you on the
street and say, "you might be on drugs, can I have a blood sample
please"?

Can anyone tell me what the proposal is rumored to be.  I have no
problem with the ban other than it is redundant.  Why ban illegal
activities?  It is the testing that I think is a violation of rights.
You don't go into someone's house to look for stolen goods unless you
have evidence that they were involved (as long as were citing the
constitution).  And, what is the point of a ban without testing.  We
already have that written in the law.

Also, what testing is currently done for banned substances.  As I
understand it the league is just talking about adding pot to an existing
list of banned substances.  Are they already testing for other drugs?

Jim

>From: Shawn Roth <ufpdev!shawnr@uunet.uu.net>
>Subject: Re: Hitler???
>To: celtics@igtc.COM
>Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:15:04 -0500 (EDT)
>
>  Testing for drugs has ben held to be constitution by the US Supreme
court.