Re: Walker on ESPN

>If Gaston can't handle the money, he should sell the team
>to somebody who can and get out of this business. - Mishra

Mishra...right on the money! The bottom-line? ..Walker is absolutely right.
If the Celtics are serious about rebuilding they're going to have to pay
serious money to keep serious talent. This is from the Philadelphia
Inquirer:

www.phillynews.com/inquirer/98/Apr/26/sports/HOOP26.htm

"Apparently, the Celtics are posturing, wondering why all-star forward
Antoine Walker said, "They'd better sign me between July 1 and Oct. 1 or
I'm gone next summer."
They haven't been listening.
Walker has told several players that if he has to deal with Rick Pitino for
seven months of an NBA season, he's at least going to get paid for it.<p>
"He's looking for $17 million a year," one Eastern Conference official
said. "Not many players are worth it, even in today's market, but he's
close. They'll have to give up a lot."<p>
Boston said it won't. So the Celtics must not be serious about rebuilding.
"That's how I feel," Walker said weeks ago. "They would have to pay a free
agent top dollars, so why not pay the one in your own backyard?""

I wonder who the Eastern Conference official was who said $17 mil? But at
$17 mil., it's a bargain. And you better believe, at the age of 22 with
this much talent and versatility, there isn't an NBA team that wouldn't
bend over backwards to get their hands on Walker. Unfortunately ( or maybe
not, depending on your point-of-view) Walker has the upper hand here, and
the bargaining position only gets worse for the franchise the longer this
thing drags on into the summer (depending on the CBA negotiations). If they
begin next season, whenever that is, with Walker unsigned, and they plan on
trading him, they're going to get screwed. Concerning negotiating in the
media; I think this is huge bucks we're talking about, the stakes are high,
and all's fair as they say. Gaston's absolutely right to try and sqeeze as
much as possible, but so is Walker. In the end though, all this
just-try-to-be-entertaining-and-be-tough-at-home talk is not going to be
enough next season. They're going to have to win next year or Pitino's
ranting and raving and maniacal drilling is going to wear thin pretty
quickly. It's Walker guys. The Celtics are awash in mediocre-at-best
talent. If they plan on getting to 45-50 wins any time soon...it's Walker.
Otherwise...take a good look at the Milwaukee Bucks, because that's the
future. But...it's a beautiful day...I'm going to cycle about 50 miles,
drink a ton of coffee, and tape all the playoff games to be watched while I
soak and ice my tired old bones. All you young people on this list...your
time will come. Have fun guys.

Paul M.