Re: Walker on ESPN

At 08:55 4/26/98 , Shailendra K Mishra wrote:
. One has to accept that Sports is a
>business and an athelete will get paid what he/she is worth is no more no
>less. Both Pitino & Gaston are displaying their inexperience by trying to
>negotiate Walker's contract in the media, they should keep quite and try
>hammer out a deal. If Gaston can't handle the money, he should sell the team
>to somebody who can and get out of this business. - Mishra

Uh What about Toine?  Wasn't he quoted in the ESPN article? I don't think
either side is  innocent of speaking to the media on this issue. I see it
as the usual posturing between athlete and team and  I must admit it at
least hasn't (YET) become nasty like Garnetts did. I really like Walker but
if I were Gaston I too would be reticent in giving him "Franchise Money"
because of his youth and immaturity but I would lean toward giving it to
him because of his youth and talent!! In the final analysis  if I were
Gaston I would offer him a "Franchise"  contract  and then visit my local
church on a daily basis!! Lastly if you were Gaston wouldn't you be
thinking the same way?  I sure would if I wanted to keep my business cause
the plusses of Toine are equal to the minuses. These are my thoughts and
YMMV!!  Hoping the Leprechaun is awake for this years draft!! Later.Mike