Re: Walker should just leave.

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Greg Odegaard wrote:

> Thank you Mark for your clear headed reason.  I have read many times the
> posts from Dan and have responded to at least one, and one thing really
> seems to stand out; his incessant negativism.  Yes many people are critics
> and at one time or another we all think we could be the coach or gm, why
> not dream and have fun with it, but to continually hammer people on what is
> their opinion like they must have just fallen off some turnip truck,
> strikes me as rude if not more.

There is another Dan on this list (Dan Forant) and I wonder if you might
be confusing our posts.  I don't post often, and I've often said positive
things as well as negative.  I had wonderful things to say about Mercer
from the beginning of the season.  Believe it or not, I've said positive
things about Walker, too.

> Dan I am sure you are going come down on Mark myself and the others,
> including nearly 20,000 in the arena most night, who like Antoine, want him
> on our team and are genuinnly optmistic he can be the star of this team for
> next 10 years.

20,000 people saying a silly thing is still a silly thing.  I'm not saying
you're *wrong*, but that I disagree.  Well, I guess that's sorta saying
*I* think you're wrong, but I'm certainly open to the possbility that
you're right.  In fact, I hope you're right.  I can certainly be wrong: I
thought the Kenny Anderson deal was a disaster, but after two games of
seeing him play, I promptly ate my words.

> this year, at the age of 21. To be so onesided against people who have a
> founded opinion about a star player on our favorite team, brings into
> question ones loyalty to this team.  To criticize blindly one who does not
> agree with you, is not unlike being considered stupid yourself.

I had to go back and check what I wrote.  What *are* you talking about
here?  Somehow *you* are able to question whether I'm loyal to the Celtics
despite not knowing me beyond postings I've made to this list, and yet *I*
can't infer that Antoine might not be worth signing a megamillion dollar
contract based on the behavior he's shown on the court.  And what kind of
twisted logic does it take to come up with my somehow being disloyal
because I disagree with you?  What if I was complaining back in 1979 about
what a dog Curtis Rowe was, and how despite his great talent and gaudy
numbers, he wasn't really in the Celtic mold?

> pro-Walker people maybe aren't as prone to think poorly of people who don't
> agree with them.  This thread ran with the Pippen and McDyess discussions
> as well; with one side calling the other idiots for having an opinion which
> they totally have a right to.  Now if someone wants to pine for a return to
> this team of Acie Earl or Todd Day, as some kind of piece of the
> championship puzzle, then yes these opinions are somewhat off center, but
> hey the guy may just be the president of the Acie fan club, and he has a
> right to his opinion.

Everyone has their opinion.  I've expressed mine.  I've yet to call anyone
an idiot.  What's the problem?

> For the record, I again say go with the plan to blow the cap budget this
> summer on one of the FA's big men to fill up the middle, draft wisely
> either a big man (Tractor or Doleac to develop but not be forced to start)
> or shooter (Cory Benjamin, Wells) and sign Walker to a deal that likely
> will be less than it would be in a year, and considered a bargain in a
> couple.  Do the same with Mercer in another year.

That's certainly one way to go.  It may be the best way, I dunno.  But why
do you get so defensive if someone questions it?  I think you're taking a
huge leap with no net.  You're just as likely to kill the franchise for
five years as lead them to a championship.  What I'm really doing, when I
suggest that this might not be *the way*, is looking for people to jusitfy
what they write.  I'd like a little more to go on than "Mercer doesn't
make his teammates better.  Walker does."

> Dan, one last question, if not Walker then who, and how do we get him.
> Quit torchering us all with the discussion of Duncan who will be in SA a
> long long time, and kidding us about Robinson who might have a couple good
> years left in him at age 32 (same as Pippen).  To criticize is one thing,
> do it constructively and realisticly please.

Greg, with a tremendous amount of respect and no ill-will:  You are
clueless.

Dan