Re: Walker should just leave. -Reply -Reply

Greg wrote:
>>> "Greg Odegaard" <gmodegaa@longvred.rmc.com> 04/15/98 Once
for all on the subject of "Celtic Pride"; this feeling or reality was
established in the 60's and fostered through the titles of the 70's and
80's;
IT MEANS ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY:
WINNING THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY YEAR REALISTICALLY
POSSIBLE!
It meant Red lighting a cigar, and pissing off everyone, far more than
Walker could ever dream of doing.
It meant Cousy throwing up half court bombs and making them, just for
the hell of it.
It meant a team, and a city knowing they were the best and expecting it
again this time next year.
It meant Bird choking Dr. J if he was going to get in his face in the
Boston Garden.
It meant Ainge fighting back with Tree, regardless of the size
differential, if he was provoked.<<<<<

Greg:

How about characteristics like sportsmanship, character, class, and
respect?  THAT's what quintessential Celtic Pride is all about to me.

And it's not too damn bad that I disdain pretentious behavior.  80s, 90s,
whenever--one thing that sent the Celtics apart from other teams was
the breadth of the teams' collective character as an ensemble of
champions.  That's what I want from the team that I root for, and that's
what I expect of the men who don the green and represent the tradition
of this storied franchise when they step onto the basketball court.

You can have your Shaqs, Iversons, et al who enjoy being a spectacle
more than playing championship caliber ball.  I want Celtics on this team.

Ryan