Re: the sporting news article

JLyell wrote:

>I don't think either of these players can play the point adequately, that
>is why Wesley was the main man last year, and Pitino went out & got Billups
>this year.  These players have not shown they can be the floor leader
>required for the 1 spot, or shoot consistently enough to play the 2.  They
>can play it efficiently enough to win 15-20 games.

In an article on  CBS Sportsline,

www.cbs.sportsline.com/u/basketball/nba/teams/insider/celtics.htm

...Wallace says that they signed Edney because there was no real back-up
for Billups. Now...I suppose this means they plan on playing Billups and
Edney at the point and I would guess Mercer at the 2? Yes? I absolutely
agree with the above concerning Barros and Brown. I'm not even sure Pitino
wants these guys as back-ups at the 2. Wallace has said they aren't real
point guards. Does anybody think they're real shooting guards? So, in
answer to a previous post concerning how good the Celtics' guards are going
to be, I have no idea if Billups or Mercer are going to be any good, I know
that Edney can handle the point but can't shoot to save his life, and I
absolutely think Brown and Barros are going to get traded before the season
starts. I don't think, as some do, that he's going to showcase either
player because nobody needs to be reminded that they're both...pretty
mediocre. I just think Pitino wants to get rid of as many of the 15 win
players as possible. He has zero loyalty to these players, and only needs
to look at their history to see what they can do. We can all think Brown
might turn his career around, but we know for certain that for whatever
reason he's been at best, a mediocre player. The same, I think, can be said
for Barros. He has a nice shot, but one year does not a career make. Also,
at the above site, Fox talks about choosing LA in relation to his acting
career.

Paul M.