Re: new rules

>Excuse me?  What has the NBA become?  Are you upset because, using
>your own words, that "someone who is camped in the lane" has to now
>get off of his fat ass and actually play defense?  I think the NBA
>is moving in the right direction on this one.  Anyone who plays ball
>hates the guys who lazz around the rim and try to undercut you, in
>an attempt to draw a charge.  And usually the stupid ref blows his
>wistle, while you lay on the floor holding you're arm/injured area.
> Now I know there is a difference between this and allowing Shaq to
>bowl his way to the hoop, but the NBA's refs are the best, and I
>think they can tell the diference.  I think this rule was put in
>place to help the refs eliminate all the fakers and sliders who hide
>in the lane.

Adam, I am not upset.  I deliberately used the phrase "someone who is camped
in the lane" to show that there is two sides to this situation.  You will
find that I try to remain as objective as possible.  If it's my opinion than
that is what I'll state.  However, I can see where you may have gotten this
idea. Remember not everyone has to be totally opinionated one way or the
other, hence "like it or not this is what pro basketball has become" was used.

My opinion came into the letter where I said that if this 1.2m rule is used,
they should have it marked on the court.  Cheap "flop" style charge fouls
are one of my ultimate basketball hates, and in the NBL here in Australia
this has become common.

Talking about my opinion, I must say that whilst I enjoy the NBA, my
preferance is for college hoops.  I believe the way the game is called may
have a lot to do with this.  The illegal defense rules of the NBA are
designed to create one on one isolation plays which are often spectacular,
but could be seen as discouraging getting the ball to the hoop with passing
and solid team offense.  You talk about a player "gett(ing) off of his fat
ass and actually play(ing) defense", but what about team defense and the
coaching of team offense to defeat this.  Basketball to me isn't really
about 1on1 plays with individual offensive skills being matched to
individual defensive skills.  This is one reaosn why I prefer the NCAA,
because offense and defense is far more varied and mixed up, leading to more
team play.

Having said this, again I would like to add, that I still enjoy the NBA
immencely.  And on that subject (NBA), the Celtics continue to get younger
and deeper in talent, so here's to the playoffs :) (yeah, I know this may be
premature, but... one can hope.. right)

   ,~,_/\      Karen J Davies                   |PO Box 376
  /      \     Sports Journalism/Photographics  |Cessnock
 {        }    jumpshot@iniaccess.net.au        |NSW 2325
  \_,~~,_* <-- Cessnock, NSW, Australia.        |Australia
        v                                       |PH: 014 425 949
               http://www.odyssee.net/~alexcap/sportsreport/