Re: new rules

>I actually like the idea of a fouled player's choice. Why force people
>to shoot foul shots when they are ahead.  Make the defense steal the
>ball.

This was only a proposal which has not been taken on board yet.  I agree
with you that it is a good idea.

>On the other issue, I have not seen the proposal.  But is this for a "no
>charge zone?"  And what does that mean?  Are they just going to let Shaq
>knock down anyone without having to worry about it at all?  Maybe I am
>just too cynical.   But, I would like to know more about what the no
>charge deal is.

The NBA has had a no charge zone for some time defined loosely as under the
basket, this has been expanded for next season to be a 1.2m semi circle
under the hoop.  In the past a charge would not be awarded to a defensive
player if he was in position under the hoop.  The only purpose of this is to
allow people like Kemp and co. to dunk the ball with a bit less fear of
getting  a charge call. The NBA would not like to see Kemp having to do
finger rolls because somebody is camped in the lane.  Like it or not, this
is what pro basketball has become...

   ,~,_/\      Karen J Davies                   |PO Box 376
  /      \     Sports Journalism/Photographics  |Cessnock
 {        }    jumpshot@iniaccess.net.au        |NSW 2325
  \_,~~,_* <-- Cessnock, NSW, Australia.        |Australia
        v                                       |PH: 014 425 949
               http://www.odyssee.net/~alexcap/sportsreport/