Re: Pitino worshiping.....

> Date:          Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:54:08 -0800
> From:          skmishra@dlsun660.us.oracle.com (Shailendra K. Mishra)
> To:            celtics@igtc.COM, mz3096@student.law.duke.edu
> Subject:       Re: Pitino worshiping.....

> > From mz3096@student.law.duke.edu Tue Oct 28 18:26:47 1997
[bunch of stuff snipped]

> > Granted, I think it perfectly okay to give RP some leeway, but how
> > much is too much. At what point do you begin to question the fact
> > that he is basically signing players, then trading them away two
> > months later. If he is trading them because they can't deliver what
> > he originally thought, we have a serious problem.
>
> No that is not a serious problem because there is no damage done. It is a
> serious problem when after two years the coach discovers that the player doesn't
> fit the system or delivering the goods.

I disagree. If he is making mistakes, that cuts into his credibility.
These are the early warning signs that spell disaster later. I agree
that there is no evidence of long run problems yet, but Knight is
signed for potentially seven years. My point is that if RP
doesn't/can't evaluate talent at this level the way we thought he
could, that could have serious repercussions in the long run.
I personally do think RP can evaluate talent, but so far, he
hasn't done much with the C's to prove that he can. He is basically
shuffling players.  I am just troubled by the fact that very few
people are bothered by this. I think the euphoria of getting RP to
replace ML is a bit too strong. We are all jumping on his boat, IMO,
a little too quickly and too freely.

> > So far you might
> > argue that RP was mistaken about Mills' value, Eric Williams' value
> > (he originally talked up EW), and even maybe Billups' value. Even
> > though he manged to unload these mistakes, what makes everyone think
> > he did the right thing this time around? I am not bashing RP, just
> > trying to keep an objective point of view.
>
> RP's ability to manage will be measured by Wins and Losses not by who he brings
> in or trades out. Clearly the theme in all his trades is "youth and potential",
> he is building this team from scratch. We will soon find out what kind of a job
> he has done.

I agree that the bottom line will be the ultimate proof. I am just a
little too excited I guess and trying to anticipate what will happen.
More than anything, I think my fear of RP failing to bring home #17
is manifesting itself. My fear is not totally unfounded, IMO. In his
drive for "youth and potential", I think it can be argued that  no
one he has brought in matches the potential of Eric Williams. That is
where the rhetoric begins to fall apart, IMO. Before I rehash the
whole EW debate, let me just that opening night is coming up soon,
and this whole debate should probably be put off until the C's
actually have a record.

Mike