Re: Pitino worshiping.....

> From mz3096@student.law.duke.edu Tue Oct 28 18:26:47 1997

> I really think that too many people are worshipping RP a little too
> much here. I know this has been said before, but it bears repeating,
> if M.L. had made any of these moves, we all would be killing him.

The reason RP is getting all this leeway is because
a) He has a track record of achieving what he set out to do.
b) People trust him because he knows talent and is not afraid to call spade a
spade.

ML on the other hand was trying to pull wool over everybody's eyes by comments
like "championship driven" and that "we would contend for playoffs", when
everybody could very well see that there was a fat chance of that happening.

Lastly, atleast somebody wants the players that RP signed, you can't say the
same about players that ML signed we are still trying to move some of them.

> Granted, I think it perfectly okay to give RP some leeway, but how
> much is too much. At what point do you begin to question the fact
> that he is basically signing players, then trading them away two
> months later. If he is trading them because they can't deliver what
> he originally thought, we have a serious problem.

No that is not a serious problem because there is no damage done. It is a
serious problem when after two years the coach discovers that the player doesn't
fit the system or delivering the goods.

> So far you might
> argue that RP was mistaken about Mills' value, Eric Williams' value
> (he originally talked up EW), and even maybe Billups' value. Even
> though he manged to unload these mistakes, what makes everyone think
> he did the right thing this time around? I am not bashing RP, just
> trying to keep and objective point of view.

RP's ability to manage will be measured by Wins and Losses not by who he brings
in or trades out. Clearly the theme in all his trades is "youth and potential",
he is building this team from scratch. We will soon find out what kind of a job
he has done.

> Are these cap trades?

Do you mean trades for salary cap? Yes and No because most of the players with
the exception of Knight and DeClerq maybe? are signed for about 2-3 years and if
they perform well, will be signed for long term deals. If RP doesn't like the
player chemistry, he probably will do what Riley did in the middle of the season
at Miami. - Mishra