Re: Billups

Thought I'd chime in on the Billups issue:

What bothers me most...
Billups does not appear to be exceptionally fast or powerful in leaping.
He was billed as a great athlete, but appears to be more of a finesse
player.

Billups is struggline more than any other point guard drafted, including
Jacque Vaughn, Bobby Jackson, and Brevin Knight.  Even a few second round
picks are having more of an impact in some games than Billups.

Now this in itself isn't that  big of a deal, except for the fact that
Pitino listed the  main reason for picking him over the likes of Battie,
Thomas, Foyle, and McGrady is that Billups would have an immediate impact,
while the others were more long term projects.  This appears to be the
exact oposite of reality.

Also, despite decent assist numbers at times, Billups is a serious head
down pound the ball dribbler when pressured.  Despite the desire for
up-tempo basketball, more often than not, Billups uses up half the shot
clock himself, often not being able to get in position to make the entry
passes.

I'm still willig to give him a lot of time, but I am very disapointed at
the level of skill and athletic ability shown versus what was advertised
by the Celtics and the draft experts.  Though I do remember that even a
few weeks before the draft,  most experts had him going between 7th and
9th, not 3rd.  Combined witht he fact that neither Wallace nor Pitino
worked him out or saw him in person even once from the time they took the
job to the time they drafted him makes me a little concerned over the
whole issue.  After hearing about Battie's progress, I fear we may come to
regret that we don't have Battie instead.

Adam

PS.  I want to see Billups develop to his full potential, and be a key
player for the celtics.  That being saaid, I think  it is asking to much
to have him be one of the best point guards the Celtics have had, not when
they include Bob Cousey and Tiny Archibald.