Re: Athletes and the law

Dorine Pratt wrote:

> Hi.  It isn't just athletes, it's the violent world we're living in.
> We
> hear about it when famous people are involved, but you must see it in
> your local papers, too.  About regular people.  As far as athletes go,
>
> some of them are so spoiled, overpaid and arrogant they think they're
> above the law.  On the other hand, what about Marv Albert?  I don't
> know
> much about him, other than his on air personna. Any famous person
> seems
> to be fair game these days, usually by someone hoping for money,
> attention, or both.  That's a shame, because even if these people are
> innocent of any wrongdoing, it can ruin their careers, if not their
> lives.  There's something very wrong going on here.
> Dorine

 Dorine:

I hope I don't get flamed for going off topic, but your post raises some
good questions.  I like it and appreciate it, and would like to expand
on it some.  This is one of my pet peeves and because people see it as
so insignificant, til broadsided and hurt by a red light runner, that it
can illustrate that we have a serious problem with poor citizenship in
this Country.

Good post Dorine, and here are my additions:

1.  Marv Albert, Michael Irving, Dallas Cowboys rape bite, sodomise
etc.  Looking at the reports of this woman, attempting to kill her
boyfriend, harrassing a police officer, I think that this is to far
out.  If Marv went around biting and S&M with women, something would
have seen the light of day by now.

2.  People talk about the "athelets" as spoiled, but they are just a
reflection of the population in general, they just have money.  And
press.  How about this for selfish, spoiled above the law?

When you see a traffic light turn yellow and you are in a hurry, do you
brake, stop and make sure you don't endanger anyone's life, or do you
figure, well I am in a hurry, so I hit the gas and hope no one else goes
on green, because they know people always run the red light any way?

And these red light runners want to penalize law breakers, increase
sentences, no parole etc.  Kinda spoiled etc.  And do they yield right
of way to pedestrians.

I think a drive to work and the numerous acts of selfish behavior
illustrate the REAL problem here.  That is the great middle class that
considers itself "law abiding" but is impolite and law breaking while
drivning a car.

This is behavior that our children see everyday from their real heros.

Then we wonder why they don't respect us and our rules?  eh?

So,

- --
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net