Predictions, however qualified are welcome

Well, I have heard the millions predict the draft
While playoffs tumble on, #3 or #6, or trading this or that
Duncan who, Wesley WHAT, and on and on it goes.

But did anybody notice that the championship is at our door??
Say a prayer for Dylan, read mine, then tell me more
This is what shall happen.

All righty sports fans, here we are on the eve of the 1997 NBA World
championship playoffs.  The teams are poised for action, the fans are
ready and overconfident and the Celtic mail list is highly focused on
speculations of trades, workouts, Duncan, and the like.  But what about
the playoffs?  Who will come forward and tell this list who the winner
will be? But more importantly, who will say why?

Well, bocelts will.

For starters, these two teams have been the best all season, so they
both deserve to be here.  It is an emotional moment, Karl Malone and
John Stockton, the Dynamic Duo of Salt Lake, the twin tornados, the
towering cresendos, have finally arrived.  To what.  A stage that is all
too familiar to the duo of Pippin and Jordan.  Yet, Pippin is hurt, or
is he?  And what about Steve Kerr, is his shot going to return?  Still
don't forget Jeff Hornacek (sp), he can score a lot of points in a
hurry.

Now, let's get down to the sweaty, dirty socks of it all.  Chicago has
the advantage in experience.  They have a leader in Jordan, who will be
motivating and pushing.  On the surface, Utah lacks this leadership.  To
the Bulls goes experience.  And in a Championship series, it is easy,
easy easy to see that rim getting smaller and smaller.

Overall team goes to Utah, why?  Because Chicago just doesn't have the
depth that Utah does.  Especially with the emergence of Byron Russell in
the playoffs has added depth.  Plus they have gotten steady if
unspectacular play from Greg Ostertag.  Antoine Carr brings a big lift
off the bench.  On the other hand, the Bulls know that this team will be
broken up.  Scotty Pippen will likely be traded to the '76ers for the #2
pick in the draft.  (Pippin and Iverson, that bench won't be big enough,
and only one basketball too!)  Rodman is fast becoming a shadow of his
former athletic self and the injuries are likely to make him suspect.
The big edge, to the motivation of Michael Jordan.  Karl Malone "stole"
his award.  MVP.  Michael will be highly motivated to show up Malone.

But, can Michael do it.  It is obvious in the last few games that his
legs are tired and his shot is flat.  He is visibly aggravated with the
poor execution of the triangle offense.  If the Heat was not so intent
on self destruction with its selfish play, they could have beaten
Chicago.  So, the Bulls lose on the team effort and the scales here are
essentially even.

The deciding factor is simply this.  Can Utah keeps its cool in Chicago
with the pressure of the crowd and the Bulls defense?  For short periods
of time the Bulls can take a team completely our of its game.  But, that
is the key to the series.  How long, and how does Utah react.
Prediction by the kirbster, the bocelt guy, the Bentzmeister is:  Utah
in 5 games.  Why, Utah has Stockton and Hornacek. They will probably
lose the first game on lack of experience. Utah regroups and wins Game 2
in the last few minutes and Chicago is noticeably tired.  Game 3, a blow
out to Utah.  Game 4, Chicago looks great with an 18 point lead mid-way
through the 3rd, when suddenly, Rodman gets a tee, Stockton and the Jazz
are beating Chicago down the floor, Pippin disappears and Jordan is
drawing front iron.  The Jazz by 3 at the end.

Game 5 is similar, but the feeling of Doom is all over the United
Center.  And, the most overrated team in history is out and out for the
90's.  Utah, is Champions, but only for this year.  No dynasty here
baby.

I am on the line, who will join me and tell us why?

- --
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net

http://www.scsn.net/users/sclaw