Re: trade idea

>----------
>From: Brad Phelps <phelpsbj@www.hendrix.edu>
>To: 'celtics@igtc.com' <celtics@igtc.COM>
>Subject: trade idea
>Date: Sunday, May 25, 1997 3:45 AM
>
>I have been thinking about it and I really feel like the Celts need to get
three picks in next month's draft.  >With the third pick I would like to
see the Celtics take either Mercer or Battie.  However, I am hoping >that
Pitino will trade the 6th pick and Dee Brown to the Cleveland Cavaliers for
the 13th and 14th picks.  >With the 13th and 14th they could hopefully
select one of the three point guards:  Brevin Knight, Dejuan >Wheat, or
Jacques Vaughn.  Then with the other pick I would like to see them select
either McGrady, >Cato, or Foyle. I realize that it is unlikely that any of
these 3 (M, C, F) will be available at 14 but >hopefully one will be
around.           With these 3 young players, along with Walker and
Williams, the >move for the future could begin.  If Vin baker is as
interested about becoming a  Celtic as it sounds that >he is then we'll
have him in a year or so.  By the way, I would really like to see Fox and
Wesley back >next year but for financial reasons the Celtics should let
them go.

I don't think this is a good idea.  The only player that you mention that
we can reasonably assume will be there at 13 and 14 is Dejuan Wheat, who is
a second round pick and not worth a #13 or #14.  It's possible Vaughn will
be there also, but i don't want him.  McGrady, Cato, and Foyle will
probably be top 10 picks.  Pitino would never trade a pick and simply
"hope" that a player will be around at #14 if it's unlikely he will be
That's not the way a top professional runs a business.

I think the absolute lowest we can trade down and reasonably expect to get
Foyle, Cato, or McGrady is #9, and we would probably not have a choice at
#9 because most likely two of them will be gone and we would have to settle
for the third that isn't taken yet.

Jeff