Re: McGrady

 ----------
 > From: Nault <rnault@ptialaska.net>
 > To: Jeff Tepper <jaytee@itasoft.com>
 > Cc: celtics@igtc.com
 > Subject: Re: McGrady
 > Date: Saturday, May 24, 1997 1:43 PM
 >
 > I didn't say that McGrady wasn't worth a shot, I just said that I think
 he
 > is a risk.  Personally I would not mind if we chose him.  I would much
 > rather have McGrady than Tim Thomas.  I guess you are right, O'Neal is
 not
 > a "huge flop", but I do think he has been a dissapointment.  He could
 still
 > become an impact player, but for the most part I think he will not.
 O'Neal
 > even admits that he made a mistake by going straight to the NBA.  In an
 > interview I saw earlier in the year on NBC he said something like "I
wish
 > had gone to college instead".
 >
 > Actually before we jump the gun on McGrady, does anybody know what kind
 of
 > guy he is?  I don't envision the Celtics drafting druggies and slackers,
 so
 > if he is one of those kinds of guys then maybe we should reconsider his
 > worth.

 I agree that he's a risk, but from now on most top draft picks will be
 risks because they are comming out as sophomores, freshmen, and HS
seniors.
  Rarely will we ever see another guy like Tim Duncan, who could have been
 the #1 pick after his sophomore year, stay through 4 years of college.  As
 for his character, i would be willing to bet Pitino knows enough about him
 to make a decision one way or the other.  He recruited McGrady very
heavily
 when he was the kentucky coach, so i'm assuming that he's already looked
 into his character and met with him several times.  He may have even
 visited McGrady's home, because many coaches do that when they recruit.  I
 trust Pitino's judgement on that issue.

 About O'Neal - he would have gone to college had he been eligible, but he
 couldn't get a high enough SAT score to qualify, and that's why he entered
 the draft.  Kobe Bryant had the choice of going to college, but O'Neal was
 kind of forced into turning pro.  He has talent and i think he will
develop
 inot a solid NBA player.  Maybe not a superstar, but i don't think he has
 the same superstar potential that McGrady has.

 Jeff