Mercer

Gregory Hurst wrote:

<<The people in the S.E.C. think Mercer is the real deal and a
clutch player.  I like Duncan.  However, I would not be upset to land
Mercer.  If you have the NCAA FINALS (Kentucky vs. Syracuse) of 1996,
view it and answer this question.  Who would you draft Walker or Mercer?
 Theory says that one has to have a big man in the middle to win, I know
but, Mercer is the TRUTH!!!!!   The third pick could be a blessing in
disguise.>>

If you were to watch the 1995 NCAA tourney, you'd think Ed O'Bannon was
the TRUTH.  You also could watch the 1997 NCAA Finals and be horrified
at how tired Mercer was.  One big college game does not a great pro
make.  There is also the personality factor -- has Walker actually come
out and said that he won't play with Mercer, or is that in the same
category as the comments attributed to Antoine about not wanting to play
for Pitino?  The only thing I recall reading from Antoine is that he
felt the C's needed a big man, and Mercer is a guard -- can't blame him
for saying that, given the bruises he probably suffered playing the 4
and 5 all year.

Fortunately, there's no one I trust more than Pitino to judge whether
Mercer really is the truth and whether he and Antoine can play together.
 They don't have to like each other.  At the risk of lightning striking
me for making the unwarranted comparison, Scottie and Michael have never
been each other's biggest fans, either.

Michael Gooen