Re: Draft picks

Shaw was a draft pick, not Gamble. They acquired Gamble from the CBA. I
think the comments you've seen about the Celts making poor draft picks are
more in reference to the likes of Michael Smith (BYU), Acie Earl, and
Eric Montross, and not Lewis, Fox, Shaw, Brown, Williams, and Walker.
Even the three picks that get the most critcized were good ones at the
time. People don't remember how incredible Michael Smith was his senior
year at BYU, he could even be compared to Van Horn. Bird was aging and
Smith was to be the heir apparent to him. The same thing goes for when
they took Earl to backup The Chief and eventually they hoped he'd step
into his starting role once he retired. On Draft Day that year Earl was
projected to go 9th-12th, and when he was available when the Celts chose
it was considered a steal. Montross was taken for the same reasons. When
they realized Earl wouldn't be a competent NBA center, they would've been
stupid to pass on Montross's size and Tar Heel (Dean Smith) teaching. I
know you're all saying, "But we could've gotten Tim Hardaway or Nick Van
Exel or Eddie Jones (wouldn't that be nice? Two words: CLASS ACT)... etc,
etc," but, isn't hindsight always 20/20?

Celts in '98!
Pissa!
Wicked Pissa!