Re: Pitino's a mistake

JOzersky wrote:

          I've said it before, and Ill say it again.  Don't pay
          this guy the moon and stars.  Just because he is a coaching
          legend with kids in college doesn't make him a good pro
          coach.  I knew Antoine wouldn't want him as coach (see
          today's globe) and you can't fire the guy when you are
          paying him a multi year multi million dollar salary.  And
          every coach has to be fired after a few years, even a REAL
          star like Pat Riley.  The celtics are getting a coaching
          version of Dana Barros, and he will drive Antoine out of
          town.  Bird and Brown forever!

    I'm so tired of people pigeonholing Pitino as a "college coach"
          when he worked wonders with the Knicks when he was there.
          The only reason it didn't work out better was the Knicks'
          reluctance to give him more control of the basketball
          operations. Instead, they made Stu Jackson their coach and
          we all know how well that worked. They had to bring in Pat
          Riley to fix things. As far as Walker is concerned, first
          of all, don't read too much into the Globe's statement. That
          was an anonymous quote that may or may not be accurate.
          Walker never has said anything negative about Pitino. And if
          he does, who cares? I like Walker, but I like Pitino even
          better. If Pitino is hired and Antoine wants to leave, I'm
          sure he'll fetch a nice return in a trade. I can't believe
          anyone would not want Pitino coaching the Celtics -- anyone
          but a Knicks or Lakers fan that is. -- Mark