Re: several points

At  9:15 AM 97.3.24 -0600, Rick MacDonald wrote:
>I don't think he could guide the Bulls to a
>championship. We need a real coach!!!

All of a sudden I tried to imagine ML Carr coaching the Bulls, and I
realized you are right. ML Carr couldn't coach the Bulls to a championship.
He does have certain kinds of  "people skills" as JOzersky says -- but
these may be better suited to keeping a losing team together than bringing
out the best in a winning team. I don't begrudge ML Carr anything for this
season, and I think he has done a creditable job with what he has. But I
see little that convinces me that ML can coach beyond the lottery level. He
seems to have none of the qualities that the really excellent coaches have;
Riley, Daly, Auerbach, Ramsey -- all had a real intensity and a hard edge
to them that challenged their players. Even Phil Jackson, who apparently
has pretty good 'people skills', can be pretty tough on his players at
times. I guess KC Jones would be the one exception I can think of -- a guy
who wasn't real hard on his players but still motivated them to winning (by
saying little and giving Larry Bird the green light).

- -Marc