Re: Duncan (What else?)

At  5:33 PM 97.3.6 -0500, Jason H Smith wrote:
>I hate to break it to you Celtic fanatics, but I wouldn't get too
>excited because there are many possible scenarios:
>
>1. It is a lottery drawing meaning that all 14 teams without playoff
>berths get a shot. It's conceivable a team just missing the playoffs
>like Indiana or Washington could get it although their chances aren't as
>good.

This is true, and we've discussed the odds here a few times. If the Celts
come in second behind Vancouver for the worst record in the NBA their
chance of getting the #1 pick is between 30% - 40%.

>3. Now I know I will take a lot of heat for this one. Keep in mind I
>don't wish the guy any harm and I hope he makes it to the NBA, but Tim
>Duncan could be dead by the time October rolls around! Sounds crazy,
>even psychotic you say? Len Bias, Reggie Lewis, need I say more. (Once
>again, typical Celtics luck!)

Give me a break. Sounds crazy .... psychotic I would say. Talk about
negative thinking.

>4. Duncan could be one of those arrogant bastards (ala Kobe Bryant, that
>little SOB) and REFUSE, that's right REFUSE, to play for a market like
>Boston. Maybe he like so many others will not want to work with M.L.
>(More Losses) Carr or 0-the century FG shooting Todd Day. He is used
>with playing with winners and not a bunch of overpaid chronically
>injured losers (with the exception of the three W's and maybe Fox)

Except that he is not. Everything I have read about Duncan says that he is
a dedicated and serious person as well as a good athlete. He passed up the
opportunity to enter the draft early in order to complete his education.
Sports writers are always commenting positively on his character as well as
his skills.

>Rip me Celtics fans. I don't care. I don't hate them. I watch every game
>and even root for them on occassion. I just know what I've seen since I
>moved here 4 years ago and it never changes.

4 years and it "never" changes? Your idea of eternity must be 5 years.

- -Marc