Mark Jackson

   Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 14:47:54 -0700
   From: Jim McMaster <mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com>

   Mark Jackson also just signed a 3-year, $9 million contract.  That is why the
   Nuggets dumped him...for salary cap room.  He will still be taking up $3
   million in cap space in 1999 at the age of 35.  The Pacers are welcome to him,
   as far as I am concerned.  The Celtics already have too many overpaid players.

This is from a previous post of mine:

] In general, salaries should not be judged in isolation -- a lot of these
] issues are discussed in my paper on the relationship between pay and
] performance in the NBA, which can be accessed at:
]
] 	http://www.csg.lcs.mit.edu/Users/shaw/papers/nba-analysis.ps
]
] As a very rough rule of thumb, a player should be paid approximately by the
] following formula:
]
] 	(team salary cap)*TENDEX
] 	------------------------
] 		  100
]
] TENDEX is a single number which represents a player's all-around
] statistical contributions to his team.  I don't think it's the end-all or
] be-all statistic -- it's just a number that's reasonably accurate,
] convenient and easy to compute.

Mark Jackson's TENDEX is 21.77 today.  Therefore, his ideal salary should
be about $5.2 million, because the salary cap this year is about $24
million.

If he keeps this up for another two years, I think Indiana will have gotten
a great deal.  Jackson's a good player, not because of his speed or
athleticism, but because of his creativity.  Until Reggie retires, they're
not in rebuilding mode ...

- -Andy