Re: Mark Jackson

In message <9703032249.AA19343@au-bon-pain.lcs.mit.edu>, Andy Shaw said:
>    Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 14:47:54 -0700
>    From: Jim McMaster <mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com>
>
>    Mark Jackson also just signed a 3-year, $9 million contract.  That is why
> the
>    Nuggets dumped him...for salary cap room.  He will still be taking up $3
>    million in cap space in 1999 at the age of 35.  The Pacers are welcome to
> him,
>    as far as I am concerned.  The Celtics already have too many overpaid play
> ers.

Andy replied:

> Mark Jackson's TENDEX is 21.77 today.  Therefore, his ideal salary should
> be about $5.2 million, because the salary cap this year is about $24
> million.
>
> If he keeps this up for another two years, I think Indiana will have gotten
> a great deal.  Jackson's a good player, not because of his speed or
> athleticism, but because of his creativity.  Until Reggie retires, they're
> not in rebuilding mode ...
>
> -Andy

Yes, he is a good pickup for the Pacers, because they are not in as deep a
hole as the Celtics.  The Pacers have fewer holes, and several very good
players.  Jackson is an unaffordable luxury for the Celtics, who are not in
contention for the playoffs this year or next.

The priority for the Celtics must be: 1) Good drafting (and luck in the
lottery) and 2) Clearing salary cap room in the 1998 and 1999 offseasons.  I
do not want Mark Jackson tying up $3 million of that cap room.
- --
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com