draft

          I've been out of town and haven't been able to weigh in with
          my take on the last few days:

          I'm thrilled with the draft (at least as thrilled as I can
          be with a Duncan-less draft). I honestly believe we got the
          two best players other than Duncan. I have questions about
          Van Horn, Battie is talented but raw, and Daniels hasn't
          proven himself against top competition.

          Plus, after years of suffering with the smallest -- and
          worst -- backcourt in the league, we suddenly have one of
          the biggest, most talented and most physical in the league.
          Of course, it will take some time for Billups and Mercer to
          adjust to the NBA game, but at least you don't have to be
          worried about either player not being physically ready.

          If the picks pan out, and I believe they will, we have the
          1,2 and 3 spots settled for as long as we can keep them
          signed. I like Eric Williams, but would be willing to dangle
          him in talks for a big man.

          As far as the center spot -- if we can't find a short-term
          fix (DeClercq or Knight?), then I'd just go with a
          center-by-committee approach with Pervis, Szabo and Conlon
          and hope to get lucky next year (LaFrentz, Loren Woods, Tim
          Young) and sign a quality free agent.

          On that last subject, one name that hasn't been mentioned is
          Rasheed Wallace. Unlike McDyess, Joe Smith and Kevin Garnett
          (although I like all these players), Wallace can play
          center. He's a legit 6-11, has put on the weight he needed
          coming out of college and has all the tools. His attitude
          has been the biggest problem, but he improved in that
          regard this season and probably just needed to grow up a
          little. Personally, I'd love to see him at center in Boston
          -- it would be an incredibly quick, athletic lineup.

          As far as the second-rounder is concerned, Ben Pepper, the
          Celts own his rights forever. Not bad considering he's
          20-years-old, 7-feet tall, competitive and just learning the
          game. Four or five years from now, maybe he'll be a player.

          Finally, it sounds like Dino will be "retiring" and heading
          back to Europe. That frees up some money this year, but we
          need to spend it wisely. The top free agents come next year.

          Sorry for the book, but I've been dying to talk about all
          this
          mark