Re: Article out of Denver on Battie, Billups, Draft.

- ----------
> From: JLyell <jlyell@concentric.net>
> To: Celtics@igtc.COM; Chris Littlefield <chrisl@mjr.com>
> Subject: Re: Article out of Denver on Battie, Billups, Draft.
> Date: Thursday, June 26, 1997 11:36 PM
>

> ----------
> >                         "Point blank," coach Bill Hanzlik said,
> > "everybody wanted to see Chauncey Billups, but we did what was best for
> the Nuggets."  Twins Antonios - Battie and McDyess. Be still our
> hearts.hereT hasn't been so little excitement in Denver for a No. 5
choice
> since James Ray in 1980. He played sparingly   in 103 games over three
> seasons with the Nuggets and averaged 3.2 points a game.
> >

> I like Billups but would offer Williams & Billups for McDyess & Bobby
> Jackson.  Go get Eisley & Declerq as a free agent and Baker in a year or
> two:
>
> McDyess    Baker
> Walker
> Fox
> Mercer
> Eisley   Jackson
>

> I like the upside the upside on this also.  Jackson was pretty impressive
> in the tournament.

I don't like this trade you propose at all.  Jackson was a great college
player, but there is doubt about whether or not he can be an NBA level
point guard.  Billups is a much better pro prospect, and also a more pure
point guard.  There's a reason Billups was a top 5 pick and Jackson was
taken where he was.

Williams for McDyess straight up would be okay, however, if we sign Fox as
a FA then it probably means that we wouldn't have cap room for Baker,
unless Fox wants some rediculously small amount that would be less than
he's worth.  Maybe we could not sign Fox, trade Williams for McDyess
straight up (Denver probably wouldn't do that but for now let's say they
do), and play Walker at SF:

McDyess
Baker
Walker
Mercer
Billups

That would be a good lineup IMO, strong everywhere except for the times
when McDyess plays against a bigger center.

> >   Battie, the NBA scouting director said, "could
> > start for most of the teams in the lottery." So could the late, great
> Ervin Johnson.  Battie may be a good NBA player someday; Billups will be
> great pro basketball player for many years. So,  despite the Nuggets'
happy
> face-spin, they
> > should have closed a deal to keep Billups in Colorado.
> >

> Don Leventhal said the Celtics made the bad choice and should have taken
> Battie.  I guess only time will tell.

True only time will tell, and I'd trust Pitino over Levanthal anyway.

Jeff