Re: The Boston Celtics Mailing digest

> I would definitely put Michael Jordan above either Wilt or Russell -- but
> that's a tough comparison, since they play such a different positions.
The
> reason I would put Jordan higher is that he plays a much more rounded
game
> than either of these two guys did.

I won't because Wilt has accomplished a few things in this league that no
player past present or future will be able to break. We go ga-ga over when
Jordan scores 50 points in a game. Wilt in one season averaged 50/game, in
addition also pulled 20+ rebound/game and by the way people didn't keep
count of his block shots otherwise he would hold that record too.

> Wilt may have scored more points, but he was also bigger than just about
everyone else in the league at the time.
> Jordan, on the other hand, is of moderate height, but makes up for it
with speed, jumping ability and, most of all, skill.

Shaq too is bigger and stronger that anybody that plays the game, so why is
he not able to break all the records set by Wilt? Wilt had skill, he had a
good jumper facing the basket. He could rebound and block shots.

> It is easier to beat 7 other teams than it is to beat 30 other teams. I
would put the Bulls pretty close to the old
> Celts. If they win again next year I don't think there is any question.

Even now, take great players from the 30 odd clubs and say construct the
following 8 teams:
<2nd tier/role players don't count>

Celtics:    David Robinson(C), Walker(PF), Garnet(SF), Penny Hardaway(SG),
Marbury(PG)
Bulls:       Smits(C), Grant/Rodman(PF), Kukoc(SF),  Jordan(SG), Pippen(PG)

76ers:      Mourning(C), Barkley(PF), Abdur Rahim(SF), Stackhouse(SG),
Iverson(PG),
Warriors: Rashid Wallace(C), Kemp(PF), Joe Smith(SF),  Sprewell(SG),
Payton(PG)
Knicks:    Ewing(C), Oakley(PF), Camby(SF), Miller(SG),  Brandon(PG)
Lakers:    Shaq(C), Malone(PF), Glenn Robinson(SF), Jones(SG), Stockton(PG)
Pistons:   Hakeem(C), Baker(PF),  Glenn Rice(SF), Hill(SG), Kidd(PG)
Bullets:    Mutombo(C), Webber(PF), Howard(SF), Richmond(SG),
Strickland(PG)

Now do you really think the teams will have easier time playing an 82 games
season, I don't see any team posting championship after championship with
the above roster. The Bulls as a team survived the NBA expansion better
than anybody,  they got additional help with the death of Bias & Lewis at
Boston, Magic Johnson's retirement due to AIDS and breakup of Pistons due
to the expansion. In fact if you look at the current NBA finals..they
marginally won an ugly 6 game series with Utah which has just 2 marquee
players. <The 86 celtics with Bird, Mchale, Walton, Chief, DJ would have
killed them>
                                                             - MIshra