duncan rumor

          If the rumor reported on this list about the Duncan trade is
          true, I would do it. I know most of the responses have been
          negative, and admittedly, this year's No. 1s, next year's
          No. 1 and Antoine are a lot to give up, but Duncan is a
          once-a-decade player. Bob Ryan made a great point in his
          column in The Globe the day after the lottery. He said the
          Spurs would dominate the next decade because there will be
          no competition for Duncan at the center position. When you
          think about it, he's right. With the exception of Shaq, all
          of the dominant centers in the league are nearing the ends
          of their careers. There are no great centers on the horizon
          at the college or high school levels. Duncan could well be
          the league MVP many times over.

          Does the high price hamper progress in the shor term?
          Absolutely. But with the addition of a top free agent, smart
          drafting in 1999 and beyond, and a few good trades, you can
          build around Duncan. I love Antoine, but he isn't a
          franchise player.

          I have a hunch this rumor is true. Pitino had to know that
          his original offer (this year's No. 1s, next year's No. 1
          and anyone but Dino and Antoine) wouldn't work. He smartly
          left himself room to sweeten the pot, and Antoine certainly
          sweetens things.

          I may be alone, but I hope it happens.

          Mark