Re: Travis Knight

I expressed concern over Pitino a few days ago, and  now I am really
worried.  The team is currently being run by two individuals with no
experience managing NBAAA players contracts or dealing with the salary
cap, and the moves are starting to show questionable judgement in reguards
to the long term future of the team.....the willingness to trade away all
the young talent for Pippen, the willingness to sign marginal talent for
long term contracts, and the getting nothing for something management of
Wesley,    Radja, and possible Fox are troubling.  If ML Carr had made
this combination of moves, most people would be calling for his execution.

I saw Chris Wallace last night on New England Cable News.  He did a half
hour interview...some of his comments were interesting...he mentioned that
one of the motivations behind Pitino's actions was to allow him to start
from scratch with players, so they would all be his choices on the
team...now it is good to have all the players on the same page asss the
coach, but the way this was said implied that it was important that the
players were brought in by Pitino, if even if the existing players fit the
system, so that there would be no trace of the previous management.

He also mentioned that hhe did not expect an immediate solution to the
Radja problem, but did say that he though it would be cleared up within a
month or so...he was very positive about Dino as a player and a person,
and layed most of the trouble at Philly's feet - saying he believed every
NBA player could either pass or fail a physical depending on how the team
administering it wanted to interpret the results...Dino does have physical
problems, and he implied the team was aware there were problems, but did
not think they were as serious as Philly says (though he says they are
re-evaluating the situation).

He stressed that the team hhas high hopes (but noe real expectations) on
Pervis, and listed him being able to play as possible the biggessst thing
that could turn around next season quickly.  He compared having a healthy
Pervis to being equivalent to having an additional lottery pick....again,
sounds like more ML moves....

He wouldn't comment on the free agent market, other than saying they were
interested in Fox, but were not going to be agressive about signing him.
One caller asked if the team was trying to trade for Kemp, and Wallace
responded he couldn't comment at this time.

He talked a little about Ben Pepper.  Neither Wallace or Pitino has ever
seen him play in person, and that they really were  just going on a tip.
That being said, they were very excited about his athletic potential after
watching him on tapes.  He wouldn't give a time table for bringing Pepper
in, but several things implied Pepper was at least two years from even
coming to try out from the team.  First, he compared Pepper's experience
to being equivalent to two years of NCAA basketball, and said he needed
more time at that level to complete the experience.  Second, he described
how changes in the Australian season will result in Pepper playing during
this off season and next regular season in Australia.

As to player locations....
Dee Brown is working out in his home in Orlando, Pervis has not yet agreed
to come to Boston during the summer either.  Greg Minor, David Wesley,
Rick Fox, and Dana Barros are here for the summer.  It is kind of funny
how Dino was knocked for not being aggreable to spending the entire summer
in Boston, while players like Dee Brown and Pervis are not here, yet are
supposedly going to play a big role in the team, while the players who
were willing to meet Pitino's summer work schedule have either been let
go, or are actively on the   trading blocks.  Consistency is lacking.

Now despite all my negative thoughts, I still think Pitino is a hell of a
coach, and  I can't wait to see what he does once he gets to work with all
the players.  I just wish there was someone with some experience shaping
player personel decisions, as I feel we are getting less talent and salary
cap space than we could if another was at the helm.  Moves seem to be
more towards winning quickly than towards developing the best team, and
that is worrisome.  I hope Pitino is a good enough coach to take players
like Knight and turn them into NBA starting material, because right now we
seem to have a center with some use on the floor, but whose contrat makes
him a negative (like McIvaine and Ervin Johnson).

Hopefully after watching the players go at it at rookie free agent camp
will renew my hope, because the trade/free agent   moves are starting to
sour me on the celtic brain trust....I need to see the coaching and
motivational techniques in action to restore some of Pitino's luster.

Adam