Introducing the 1997-8 Boston Celtics?

Celtic fans rejoice!  The C's will hang #17 by 2001! But I think the way to
look at this season is a bridge to 1998, a time for Pitino to learn what
hand he's been dealt and move from there into the 98 Free Agent Class.

I think the Celtics have a legitimate shot to win 35 games next year.
Remember the Celts won 32 or so in 96 with ML, Dino and Nique. Now we have
Pitino, Walker and Mercer!

Point Guards:

Chauncy Billups - I must profess that I haven't seen Billups play, but 3
things excite me:  (1) his size, the days of 5-10 to 6-0 PG for the Celts
are gone! (2) Pitino is high on him, which is good enough for me! (3) He
can shoot with either hand.  He is also excited about playing with Pitino
and Mercer.

David Wesley - I'd like to see David signed to a 2 year deal. That way if
(and I hope this isn't the case) Billups gets hurt or just isn't the star I
hope he becomes, we can re up with Wes.  I would really like to see him
brought back in the same kind of role the TWolves kept Terry Porter in:
Tutor and mentor to the young stud PG (Guess Wesley's a little young to be
a mentor though, still has 4-7 good years left unlike Porter).  In the best
of worlds we would have (a) never had signed Barros to that stupid 6 year,
$100 zillion contract or (b) shipped Barros off to Washington before they
got Strickland or Denver last season, and (c) been able to afford bringing
back David, but it aint so Wes probably will be playing for the Hornets
next season.  But...The Boston Herald had an interesting story today. It
said that Pitino may sign Wes (only if the price is right) and let him
Brown and Barros fight it out for the Backup spot.  If that happens Wes
beats them out.  He may not be as fast as Brown or as great a 3 shooter as
Barros, but he's a gamer.  He's Pitino's kind of player.  Wes earned a spot
on my all-celtic team b/c of his attitude last season.  I mean this guy was
playing 40-45 mins a game, never complained, hustled the whole game, I love
this guy.  But I doubt he'll be resigned.  I hope he makes a fortune.  Wish
he could play for Coach Bird :-) (Guess he'll settle for Coach Cowens!).

Dee Brown - Given that Wesley's going to be passing the ball to Glen Rice
rather than Ron Mercer, I would like Dee best as the backup point for one
reason: his defense.  I really think Dee is going to return to his form c.
1993-4 under Pitino -- quickness (Pitino says he want's him under 185) and
defense (Dee used to lead the C's in steals and has long arms for a 6'0"
guard).  I also think that Barros will have more trade appeal b/c of the
moved 3pt line.  Does anyone know if (he wanted to as a condition of
staying a Celtic) Dee could renegotiate his contract?  Maybe he would for
the chance to play for a winner (Pitino).

I think Dee got a bad rap b/c he demanded to be traded 2 years ago.  I look
at it a different way.  Dee was the only player pissed enough about the
(lack of direction) of the Celtics that he demanded to be traded.  That
shows me he wants to win.  He'll get paid whether he plays for the Celtics
or the Grizzlies so it wasn't about money.  I also think people didn't
remember that Dee has had a pretty rough stay in Boston:  His best friend
Reggie died and he has had more than one run in with the Boston police who
thought he was "mugging" a white woman.  The woman is his wife (a la the
scene in "Jungle Fever").  I think he is excited about playing for Pitino,
is going to bust his ass to stick with the C's (he volunteered to play for
the FA/rookie team in Georgia) and will fit into his system great.  I still
think Dee could be a really good 3rd guard b/c of his speed and D.  But, I
think Pitino want's Barros more b/c of his 3pt shooting (especially since
he's been talking up Brown, a sign to me that he's gone; sort of like a
coach getting a vote of confidence).  One thing that bodes well for Dee is
that Red is a big fan.  50-50 chance that he's the 2nd Point Guard.

Dana Barros - If, as I assume, Barros is the Backup Point I won't cry. I
think he too will fit right into Pitino's system.  I think he will benefit
from the 3pt line moving back (as well as the league! no more 3's from
players like Walker and Avery Johnson).  I like the possibilities.  Having
a 5'11'' Barros isn't as bad with a 6'7 Mercer at the 2. But if the C's
wanted to go small they could play Barros and Billups at the same time and
have Billups guard the opposing SG.  I've never warmed up to Barros b/c of
his stupid contract but I know he wants to prove he deserves it, so if he
can stay healthy, I think he will be a real asset.

Howard Eisley - He won't be back in Utah with Jacque Vaughn selected by the
Jazz (what a goof by the Pistons and Magic).  The only way I would sign him
is if we can move Barros and Brown. Even then I'd want Wesley over Eisley.
He didn't show me much in Utah.  He's just a serviceable backup to me.

Shooting Guards:

Ron Mercer - He is what we have needed since Reggie died:  A big SG that
can score 20pts a game.  I think he will turn out to be as good as Reggie
(my alltime favorite Celt).  I know, he hasn't even played a game yet, but
the Grizzlies and Nuggets will be kicking themselves for the next 10 years
that they didn't take Mercer.  For everyone worried about his stamina: He
looked tired in the title game b/c he was.  When Derek Anderson went down
for Kentucky, Mercer carried that team to the final game. He was all they
had and was just worn out from being focused on througout the SEC and NCAA
tourneys.  Mark my words Mercer is going to be a star.

Greg Minor - I don't really want Minor back.  Mostly b/c of his contract
but also b/c I don't think he'll ever be a decent NBA SG.  I don't think
he's a scorer or that great a defender.  I'd like to see him traded to a
sorry team (Grizzlies, Mavs?) for their 2nd round pick next year.  I have a
feeling he'll be back just b/c of his size.  His treatment of his
girlfriend and his kids doesn't endear him to me either.  We can do better
(especially now that we have Minor), hell I'd almost rather have Jon Barry
back.

Here's a thought:  With Washington sending Calbert Chaney & Muresan to NJ
for Jayson Williams, what about trading Barros & Minor for Lorenzo Williams
(whom the Wizards are looking to deal) and Harvey Grant (does anyone know
how many years he has left on his contract?).  The downside is that L.
Williams has 6 years left on a 7 year contract, but its only at 1 mil a
year (a bargain in todays market).  The salaries match and the GM of the
Wizards loves Barros.  What we sacrifice in long term flexibility
(Williams) we save with clearing up the logjam at the 1/2 positions.  This
would also allow us to bring back Wesley.

Small Forwards:

Antoine Walker - I guess unless Chris Wallace can find another Issac Austin
out there, Walker will be playing at the PF position, but he is our SF for
the future.  I'm not totally sold on Walker as a superstar yet, just b/c I
think his talent was wasted last year and that he had to do too much, but
he did do some things last year that few players can. This will be the year
that we see what Walker can really do:  And I think it will be alot.  I
don't like him at the PF spot b/c I he's too small to go up against the
bigger PFs like Malone and Kemp.  I do love his rebounding, especially on
the offensive end, but wish that someone would work with him on his
shooting technique -- he looks like he pushes the ball rather than shoots
it.  Thinking of him, Mercer and Billups gives me goose bumps.  This will
not be a Kidd/Jackson/Mashburn rerun!

Rick Fox - I look at the Celtics being in a real tough position with Rick.
Do you sign him now with Williams needing to be signed next year?  I think
the C's have to make a decision who their backup SF of the future is going
to be:  Williams or Fox.  Some people think Williams and Walker are the
forwards of the future for the C's but if I had my way, I'd have a 4
forward rotation in 1998 as Walker, Fox (SFs) and Baker, DeClerq (PFs).
I'd like to resign Fox and let Williams walk at the end of this year (he'll
be looking for a $3 million deal) in order to go after McDyess or Baker the
following year. I think Fox may be resigned, even though he could make more
$$ as a Hawk or Grizzly.  Fox is just the kind of player that would prosper
in Pitinos system of pressure the ball defense, I also like that he can
slide to the SG position if needed.  I think Rick showed his worth to a
team last season and would improve even more under pitino's system.  SF's
Williams, Walker, Mercer and Fox can't all be on the same team (especially
with no big men!) While I'd like to bring Fox back as the Celtics 6th Man,
start Williams and Walker next season, then let Williams go and get a
McDyess or Baker and slide Walker back to the 3, I have a feeling Fox will
be the odd man out and will end up with another team next year.  I hope
Rick gets to play for a winner -- he and Wesley deserve it.

Eric Williams - As I said I'd rather have Fox than Williams long term, but
that is mostly just b/c I'm a Fox fan, not a Williams hater.  Since I don't
think the C's will sign Fox to a longer term contract, I would love to see
the Celtics make Williams the Sixth man in the mold of McHale and Cedric
Maxwell b/c (1) Walker is our SF of the future and (2) Williams is not a
classic SF.  He presents matchup problems at the 3 and 4 and could provide
a real spark of the bench. If Eric could consistently make the 15 foot
jumper he'd be deadly b/c he's a pocket Kevin McHale in terms of his post
moves.  This is obviously the make-or-break year for Eric b/c if he doesn't
show Pitino something, he'll be sacrificed for the 1998 FA class.  Williams
also represents prime trade bait, a lot of NBA GMs feel that he's got a
great scoring mentality.  I look for Pitino to really get the most out of
Eric.

Power Forwards:

Dino Radja - I look for Radja to average 40 pts and 20 rebounds next year.
Just seeing if you're paying attention.  Played his last game as a Celtic.
If ML wasn't such an inept GM he would've anticipated that Dino would be
physically worn out by the time we were ready to compete again and dealt
him in 1995 when he should have made the All-Star team in front of Juwaan
Howard.Dino will hopefully be in Europe next season and we will have his $5
million to got after a FA PF next summer.

Pervis Ellison - I think ML's worst move after signing Dana Barros to a
long term deal was not opting out of Ellison's contract last summer.  Since
no GM in their right mind would trade for Ellison, we're stuck with him.
Ellison will only ever be a decent backup center.  We can't/shouldn't count
on him for anything more.

* Andrew Declerq - There has been a lot of speculation about whether or not
the C's should sign DeClerq.  I say YES!  Not b/c I think he will be the
all-star PF we need, but b/c we will be getting a great bargain by signing
him this year to a 2 year $2 million deal. We need a banger at the PF/C
spot (Declerq can slide to the 5 in a pinch) or else Walker's going to be
eaten alive. Declerq is a great fit in Pitino's system:  Quick for a 6' 10"
PF, gives 100%, works hard, plays nice man defense and can play the trap,
rebounds and finishes nicely. (However, I predict that no less than 5 teams
including the Bulls, Heat, Celtics, Warriors and Magic will vie for
DeClerq). Here's why Pitino/Wallace will/should go after Drew.

I went to the University of Florida when DeClerq was there (reason enough
to sign Declerq!).  Florida made it to the Final 4 in 1994 b/c of 2
players:  Dan Cross (who I was excited to see the Celtics work out last
season) and DeClerq.  If memory serves me correct DeClerq pulled down 20
rebounds in an SEC tournament win against the Pitino-coached Kentucky team.
Rick said after the game that he'd love to have Declerq on his side b/c of
his tremendous hustle and attitude.  Declerq basically played all out on
every play during college. So where has this guy been then you ask?.  Well
he could've been on the Celtics if they hadn't wasted their pick on Junior
Burroughs (Declerq was taken with the next pick by the warriors).  I had
him pegged going to Orlando in the 1st round of the 95 draft, but he
couldn't work out with teams b/c he caught mono.  He was basically on the
IR for the 1st half of the season, after that the Warriors didn't play him
much.  Last year he started to play more, but it's hard to get meaningful
minutes when Joe Smith is starting in front of you.  DeClerq showed what he
can do the 2nd half of this season posting several double-doubles.  I think
it would be wise to sign him for 2 years at $1 million/year -- that would
allow us to clear some room for Vin Baker to come home in 1998! (DeClerq's
also a pretty bright guy.  When I was at UF a student group I was in
brought Noam Chomsky to speak.  The place was packed and Declerq was one of
the 300 or so sitting in the aisles.)

* Lorenzo Williams - Currently playing for the Wizards. Word is that the
Wiz would like to move him.  Lets package Minor and Barros for Williams and
Harvey Grant (although I think he may be a free agent).  The Wiz will be
looking for a SG with Chaney going to NJ with Muresan for Jayson Williams.
This former Celtic would just be a band-aid this year then a backup PF/C
when we get someone who can really play the 4 or 5.  Remember he was the
Mavs starting center in 1995.  I'm not saying that b/c it indicates talent
(I could probably start for the 95 Mavs), but that he did so at 6' 9"
without causing a fuss that his more talented teamates (the 3 Js) did.
This is another 100% effort players we need more of.

Marty Conlon - Trivia Question: Which is the only Celtic Free Agent this
season that will be back with the club next season?  Marty!  The man with
the ugliest shot in the NBA re-ups with his former college coach from
Providence.  Marty is a hustler, you gotta give him that.  But I gotta hope
that if Chris Wallace is as good a judge of talent as people say he is he
can find a better post player than Conlon.  The scary thing is that Conlon
may even wind up being our starting center unless we find some help in the
post!

Center:

Travis Knight - There was a lot of speculation that Knight would be signed
by the Celtics.  I am against that for the same reason that I was against
signing McIlvaine last year:  He's just a good backup not a real starter.
I'd rather bring back Brett Szabo at a cheaper price.  Word also is that
Knight is willing to forgo a big payday to stay in LA.  Hell so would I if
my job was to back-up Shaq.

Brett Szabo - My favorite Celtic scrub since we got rid of Fred Roberts.
There is a slim (i.e. 1%) chance that he'll be back.  You have to give
Szabo his props for improving over the course of the season.  If someone's
smart they'll sign him for a backup center (He's cheaper than people like
Monstrossity).

Here's what I would want the  roster to be starting the season:

Billups
Mercer
Williams
Walker
???

Wesley
Fox
DeClerq
Conlon
Lorenzo Williams
Harvey Grant
Ellison - IR (c'mon did you expect anything else?)

Here's what I think the roster will be:

Billups
Mercer
Williams