re: Michael Smith

>Jason,  we can look at the Michael Smith selection now and ridicule it, but
>at the time it looked pretty good.  Michael Smith is still one of the most
>perplexing flops in my opinion.  Here was a guy 6'11' who had good ball
>handling and passing skills, could hit the 15-20 foot jumper, could have
>been the next Mchale, but never did anything in the NBA.  I don't know if
>he didn't have the heart to play, didn't have the attitude to play a
>physical game , or what...

I used to subscribe to Celtics Pride. When Michael Smith was a rookie, he
wrote a regular column -- sort of a rookie's journal of life in the NBA.
His very first column, written during training camp, scared me, since he
kept talking about how difficult it is for a rookie, how much time he felt
it would take to adjust to the NBA, etc., etc. Talk about a self-fulfilling
prophecy!

I think he just psyched himself out of any chance of a good career, whether
through lack of self-confidence or whatever. (Remember how he began lifting
weights before his rookie year because he was convinced he had to in order
to compete?) Plus, he was a bit slow afoot - I don't think lifting weights
helped him in that regard either.

Re: claims that Duncan isn't a center - of course he is. Just remember how
well he played again Dream Team III (a.k.a. Sleep Walking Team) in their
exhibition. Held his own against the big boys quite well, thank you.

bob