re: Michael Smith

At 11:56 AM 1/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Jason,  we can look at the Michael Smith selection now and ridicule it, but
>>at the time it looked pretty good.  Michael Smith is still one of the most
>>perplexing flops in my opinion.  Here was a guy 6'11' who had good ball
>>handling and passing skills, could hit the 15-20 foot jumper, could have
>>been the next Mchale, but never did anything in the NBA.  I don't know if
>>he didn't have the heart to play, didn't have the attitude to play a
>>physical game , or what...

One physical flaw was his short arms, inhibiting him from getting
his shot off and rebounding the way you'd expect from someone 6'11''.
His wing span was shorter than his teammate,
Charles Smith (6' pt guard from Georgetown).  This was an attribute the Celts
didn't realize until after he was already in camp.

One reason McHale was so effective was his enormous wing span.

Kerry M. Kee

Voice:  508-263-5588  ext.144            HighGround Systems Corporation
Fax:    508-263-5565                       1300 Massachusetts Ave, Suite 205
E-Mail: kkee@highground.com                  Boxborough, MA 01719-2203