Re: Page

- ----------

>Jeff wrote
>
> Well, i sure wouldn't want Iverson running the point for my team.  Maybe
i'd
> take him as a 2 guard (although at his height that would be a stretch),
but he
> hasn't shown me that he can be an true point guard at the NBA level.
Even at the college level he wasn't a true point guard.  Don't get fooled
by his
> points per game average or the highlights you see on sportscenter.  My
college  is in the Philly TV market so i see sixers games a lot.  Iverson
makes bad decisions and plays out of control too much.

> To contrast, look what Stephon Marbury is doing in Minnesota.  He may not
> average as many points per game as Iverson, or even as many assists as
Iverson, but he takes care of the ball and has an amazing understanding of
the game. As a result, he makes less mistakes and better decisions and it
has shown in the team's record.  While Philly once again has one of the
worst records in the league, the T-wolves are in position to actually make
the playoffs.

> >1 star player (or 3 as Dallas has learned) does not make a successful
teamin the NBA.  Chemistry is the key, taking a couple of stars & building
> >good supporting cast that works good together as Chicago & Houston have,
>and the Lakers & Miami are hoping to do.  It is usually the role players
> >the Cedric Maxwell's, Walton's, Sichting's, Paxson's, Kucoc's, Elie's,
> >Cassell's that have put the good teams over the top,  along with a lot
of
> >help from the stars of course.
>
> These are all good points.  I think that Philly has the type of role
player
> that you are talking about in Clarence Weatherspoon.  It will take some
time
> for the team to gel, but still there's really no good excuse for them to
be
> playing as bad as they are with the players they have.
>
> Jeff

Jeff, you may be correct and that is why Stackhouse is rumored to be on the
market, Philly thinks they are both suited for the 2 spot.  Weatherspoon
has been there a while and really has not done much.  IMO their problems
still stem from the Shawn Bradley pick, longterm contract,  & subsequent
trade for problem child Derrick Coleman, and also the Sharone Wright
selection.   But even these moves don't substantiate losing what 20 out of
21 ?

As far as Minnesota, their success is due to Kevin McHale's talent
evaluation skills leading to the acquisitions of Tom Gugliotta , Garnett
and maneuvering for Marbury.  He knew when to get rid of Marshall unlike
the Celtics with Brown , Barros & possibly Radja, and took risks on Marbury
& Garnett's youth based on his judgment.