Re: Page

John Lyell wrote:

>Yes,  but I think a lot of Celtic fans would love to have him & his
>potential, maybe I'm wrong.  I sure as hell would take him over Walker, he
>is a player that can seriously push the ball up the floor, get hot and
>shoot the lights out, and as you stated get sloppy also. But I  would take
>the down side with the good.

Well, i sure wouldn't want Iverson running the point for my team.  Maybe i'd
take him as a 2 guard (although at his height that would be a stretch), but he
hasn't shown me that he can be an true point guard at the NBA level.  Even at
the college level he wasn't a true point guard.  Don't get fooled by his
points per game average or the highlights you see on sportscenter.  My college
is in the Philly TV market so i see sixers games a lot.  Iverson makes bad
decisions and plays out of control too much.

To contrast, look what Stephon Marbury is doing in Minnesota.  He may not
average as many points per game as Iverson, or even as many assists as Iverson,
but he takes care of the ball and has an amazing understanding of the game.
As a result, he makes less mistakes and better decisions and it has shown in
the team's record.  While Philly once again has one of the worst records in
the league, the T-wolves are in position to actually make the playoffs.

>1 star player (or 3 as Dallas has learned) does not make a successful team
>in the NBA.  Chemistry is the key, taking a couple of stars & building a
>good supporting cast that works good together as Chicago & Houston have,
>and the Lakers & Miami are hoping to do.  It is usually the role players
>the Cedric Maxwell's, Walton's, Sichting's, Paxson's, Kucoc's, Elie's,
>Cassell's that have put the good teams over the top,  along with a lot of
>help from the stars of course.

These are all good points.  I think that Philly has the type of role player
that you are talking about in Clarence Weatherspoon.  It will take some time
for the team to gel, but still there's really no good excuse for them to be
playing as bad as they are with the players they have.

Jeff