Rookie / Old Timers Game

Marc Rahn wrote:

>      Although I think the rookie all star game is a good thing for All star
>      weekend, I used to enjoy the old timers game and always looked
>      foreword to seeing Larry and Magic go at it one more time.  Maybe they
>      can reassemble the mid 80's Celtics and Lakers. There are a few old
>      players that could still compete with other old guys,heck look at
>      George Foreman! What about McHale, DJ, Ainge, and on the other side
>      Abdul Jabar, Cooper, Worthy and you could always throw in some other
>      guys from other teams to even things out. Granted there are a few guys
>      that might not be physically not able to make it, Bird? definitely
>      Walton.

Marc -- That's an intriguing idea, but.....
Don't you remember how several of the legends sustained surgery-requiring
knee injuries in these games, and the poor old guys had to be scraped off
the floor?  That was very sad.
     And the unfortunate reality is that Larry is no longer Larry as we
remember him.  No, your suggestion is tempting, but I think I'd rather sit
back and watch the real Celtics and Lakers which I'm fortunate enough to
have in my tape collection.  Then I can remember these guys at their best.
Ed