more column on Celtics

   PSE Report
                                Boston Celtics

  HOT TOPICS:

   GETTING INSIDE

   After nine straight games on the road and nine straight losses to show
   for them, the Celtics returned home last evening to the waiting arms
   of the FleetCenter, where they are now 9-18.

   If parents were this nurturing, there would be far more runaways on
   the nation's streets.

   For the Celtics, it's all relative. The best thing about playing at
   home is that it's not the road. They are a league-worst 2-26 in other
   buildings.

   "True, we haven't done that well here, but you're talking nine against
   two," said Rick Fox. "We've definitely got better odds of getting a
   win at home than we do on the road. The road is just terrible."

   Home is only moderately terrible. The Celts are 27-41 in the new
   facility where it's cheaper to send a family of four to college than
   feed them. They'd have to go 9-5 here the rest of the season just to
   match last year's home mark. When framed by the advantage of playing
   next door in the Garden, it's more like they've moved to the
   MeekCenter. Opponents are undaunted.

   But that, of course, is the fault of the players -- not the cinder
   blocks and cement.

   "I think it's up to us," said Eric Williams. "We haven't played well,
   so the fans come here waiting for something to happen. We have to show
   them something before they really get it going.

   "I think the crowds have been pretty good to us, but it won't really
   be great in here until we turn it around and start winning regularly.
   Then you'll see how good a home court advantage we can have here."

   But while playing on the parquet doesn't carry the same weight for the
   Celts as it did when Bill Russell -- not Brett Szabo -- was heading
   out for the center jump, just the fact the current crew is back in
   Boston figures to be of some benefit. There was a loss in Orlando
   before the All-Star break and failures in Los Angeles (Clippers),
   Phoenix, Vancouver, Portland, Seattle, San Jose (Golden State) and
   Utah on a western swing. Then the C's fell to 0-3 against the Nets
   Sunday in Jersey.

   "It just feels good to be back here and out of the road atmosphere,"
   said David Wesley. "It's really not much of a home court advantage for
   us, but that's because we haven't made it into a home court advantage
   with the way we play. It used to be that teams practiced a lot on
   their home court and they got really used to the place. That's where
   the home court advantage came in. But teams don't do that a lot now,
   and this building is a lot like the other new buildings when you're
   playing.

   "The only way we can make it different is to give the people a reason
   to be loud. I think they've been pretty good the last few games we
   played here, but they feed off us. If we give them the kind of
   intensity we should be giving them, I think they'll cheer for us and
   help us. But if we don't, then it's really doesn't matter where we're
   playing."

   NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

   Following last night's game, Ricky St. Jean came into the Sacramento
   dressing room and hugged the coach, his brother. Garry St. Jean smiled
   -- the first time he has been able to do so as a head coach on
   Causeway Street.

   "They all out there?" Garry asked, referring to the horde of friends
   and family that had watched the Kings defeat the Celtics, 111-105.

   "Sure this was big for me," said the Saint of Chicopee, Mass. "The
   Celtics have always been my team. I still root for them in 80 games a
   year." ... It was big for St. Jean and bigger for the Kings, who had
   lost 17 straight in Boston. The last time they broke through here,
   Scott Wedman went for 32 points and 11 rebounds in a 120-99 decision
   on January 17, 1979. In the meantime, Wedman had won a championship
   ring with the 1986 Celts.

   "We could tell (St. Jean) really wanted this game," said Olden
   Polynice after 16 points and 14 boards. "He had a lot of relatives in
   the crowd, and this was very important to him. But I also feel happy
   for the Kings. I mean, 17 years is a really long time."

   For St. Jean, it hasn't been as long. But it's been intense.

   "I can only claim credit for four of those," St. Jean said. "But a
   couple of them have been memorable ones."

   Indeed, last year the Kings led Boston by 26 in the third period
   before falling. And two years ago, Sacramento was up by seven with a
   minute left before Dee Brown ignited the Celtics' comeback win ...
   Michael Hawkins was a no-go with his sore left shoulder last night. He
   joined Dee Brown (hyperextended toe) and Greg Minor (sore right foot)
   as players from the active roster in street clothes.

   Thursday is the final day of Hawkins' second 10-day contract. He says
   he has just a bad bruise, and if the Celts feel he will be able to
   play soon, he could be signed for the rest of the season ... Brett
   Szabo was limited to 10 minutes because of a sore left elbow ... The
   joint chiefs of staff were in attendance, with Red Auerbach joining
   Paul and Don Gaston and Jan Volk in the administrative section ... Old
   friend Kevin Gamble had three points in 20 minutes.

   BY THE NUMBERS: 11 -- The number of consecutive losses the Celts have
   suffered.

   QUOTE TO NOTE: "We're going to take this season in stride. We'll have
   our day in the future" -- Rick Fox.

   STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

   Frank Brickowski and Pervis Ellison have pretty much been declared out
   for the year. Dino Radja has already been placed on such status, and
   Dana Barros might as well be.

   Applicants can write to the Celtics at the FleetCenter, Boston, Mass.

   Antoine Walker, Eric Williams, Rick Fox and David Wesley have the
   green light to shoot as much as they like. The rest is just details
   for M.L. Carr.

   GAME MATCHUPS: Friday night vs. Detroit Pistons -- The Pistons have
   whacked the Celts thrice this season, never by fewer than 10 points.
   And with Boston's depleted middle, Detroit will get all the rebounds
   it needs to shoot for another big score.

   Saturday night at Cleveland Cavaliers -- The Celtics have yet to play
   the Cavaliers this season, so there's a chance the Cavs have forgotten
   how much fun it is to play these Bostonians. The most interesting
   aspect to this matchup is that the C's have done well in bringing
   Cleveland out of its plodding shell. The Cavs will loosen up their
   offense.

   IN YOUR FACE: Friday night vs. Detroit Pistons -- Grant Hill has
   averaged 22.7 against the C's this season. They haven't come close to
   stopping him.

   Saturday night at Cleveland Cavaliers -- David Wesley needs help on
   Terrell Brandon, but the Celts have the worst help defense in the
   league.

   ROTATION: Starters -- Point guard David Wesley (team high 16.5 ppg);
   Off guard Rick Fox (2.37 steals); Small forward Antoine Walker (2.4
   assists; 2.9 turnovers); Power forward Eric Williams (a power forward
   with just 4.5 rpg); Center Brett Szabo (still averaging just six
   minutes a game). Bench -- First guard Todd Day (just 1.2 assists for a
   guy who has the ball so often is despicable); First forward Marty
   Conlon (87 percent from the line); First center Alton Lister (more
   rebounds than points per game, 3.5-1.9).

   INJURY UPDATE: Michael Hawkins (sore left shoulder) day to day, but
   contract is up today. Dee Brown (hyperextended right big toe)
   doubtful. Greg Minor (sore right foot) doubtful. Dino Radja (left knee
   surgery) injured list. Dana Barros (sore left ankle) injured list.
   Frank Brickowski (right shoulder surgery) injured list. Pervis Ellison
   (broken right big toe) injured list.

   February 28, 1997* Vol. 2, No. 37

   Copyright (c) 1996 Pro Sports Xchange

   All Rights Reserved. Reprints, duplication or redistribution is
   prohibited without written permission from Pro Sports Xchange.

   Subscribe now. Call 1-888-PICK PSX (1-888-742-5779)

   Copyright © 1997 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved.