Re: PGs Play

  Many folks have posted concerns that the Celtics could have gotten
much better than Billups at the #3 spot in the draft.  Those same
thoughts have crossed my mind.  When I see what Brevin Knight is doing,
I think, how could he have gone down to #16 in the draft?  Couldn't the
Celtics have taken Mercer at 3 and Knight at 6?  Knight's doing
so much better as a point guard than Chauncy.

  However, as Starke pointed out, Billups' upside potential is
tremendous, due to athleticism, size, shooting, etc.  He also seems to
have the intangibles like a team attitude and willingness to work
hard.  Last week there was a camera shot of the team during a timeout, and
not only was he paying full attention to Pitino, but he was saying
something in a contributing way and pointing to the diagram of the next
play, as if to either contribute ideas, or at least say something to
make sure he understood the plan.  He definitely seems involved and trying
hard to learn.

  In the long run, all of the above could make Chauncy into a top
point guard and better overall player than Brevin Knight, even though
Brevin is clearly better today.  Pitino has stated that his goal was to
get players who are durable, hard working and have tremendous upside,
and Chauncey gives him all that.  Billups also is among the leaders in
steals among NBA rookies.  Last I saw he was 2nd.  A shorter Brevin
Knight would be more of a defensive liability.  So Chauncy may not work
out, but picking him seems to be consistent with Pitino's long-term plan.

Jon Mc