Re: Isaih's remarks

>First, Isiah's remarks concerning Larry Bird were wrong because it was
>said out of bitterness and jealousy, but there is a grain of truth in
>it.
>
>In Larry's last few years his feet and his back severely reduced his
>ability and, in fact, he was probably just a good player - not the great
>player he had been in previous years. Despite his athletic decline, his
>legend lived on and, I think, rose-colored his accomplishments in his
>later years. For instance, Larry would make a good pass leading to an
>assist and announcers would oooh and aaah saying what a terrific play it
>was and how nobobdy could do that but Larry, blah, blah blah. It was
>embarassing at times and I can understand some of the resentment that
>must have developed. I see some of the same reactions to the play of
>Jordan - all his moves now are seen as fabulous. What is amazing is how
>some players are able to live on reputation and respect near the end of
>their careers to such a great extent in a business as ruthless as
>professional sports. Those athletes who are given that level of respect
>have truly earned it.

This example, whether true or not, has nothing to do with Isaiah's
comments, which were about Larry being treated favorably because he was
white.  The same could be said of Dr.J at the end of his career, and
probably plenty of others.  I think sportscasters just say stupid things
sometimes, which is easy to notice when I'm watching in my living room, but
might be understandable if I ever had to get behind the microphone.

Matt