Re: Isaih's remarks

>Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:39:22 -0500
>From: tom bisson <tbisson@doe.state.vt.us>
>Subject: Re: Isaih's remarks
>
>First, Isiah's remarks concerning Larry Bird were wrong because it was
>said out of bitterness and jealousy, but there is a grain of truth in
>it.

>I>n Larry's last few years his feet and his back severely reduced his
>ability and, in fact, he was probably just a good player - not the great
>player he had been in previous years. Despite his athletic decline, his
>legend lived on and, I think, rose-colored his accomplishments in his
>later years. For instance, Larry would make a good pass leading to an
>assist and announcers would oooh and aaah saying what a terrific play it
>was and how nobobdy could do that but Larry, blah, blah blah. It was
>embarassing at times and I can understand some of the resentment that
>vmust have developed. I see some of the same reactions to the play of
>Jordan - all his moves now are seen as fabulous. What is amazing is how
>some players are able to live on reputation and respect near the end of
>their careers to such a great extent in a business as ruthless as
>professional sports. Those athletes who are given that level of respect
>have truly earned it.

Ah... no way. This was in 1987. Larry was coming off three MVP seasons.
This was NOT at the end of his career.

And "just a good player?" Give me a break. Even in crippling pain, Larry
was better than just about anyone on the court. The one area that declined
IMO was his defense, especially in one-on-one situations, where he never
excelled anyway. I remember his next-to-last game, when he threaded some
amazing passes to teammates for layups, and yes, not too many could make
those passes.